Tower-Roosevelt to Canyon Village Drive

Tower-Roosevelt to Canyon Village Drive is a 17.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Yellowstone National Park, WY that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and scenic driving and is accessible from May until October.

17.6 miles 3537 feet Point to Point

scenic driving

Yellowstone National Park PO Box 168 Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190-0168 307-344-7381 (recorded information and an option to speak with someone) Additional info: http://www.nps.gov/yell/contacts.htm

scenic driving

This 19 mile section of road contains the highest consistent elevation of any of the main (figure 8) roads in the Yellowstone Park loop. Personally, I've seen more bear activity in this stretch of road than any other place in my multiple trips to the park. Be on the lookout for a lot of hiker activity and slowing traffic near the Mount Washburn trailhead. Mount Washburn is the highest point in the park and the Mt. Washburn trail is widely considered the most hiked trail in the park. Give it a shot if you have the time; the views from the summit are incredible.

scenic driving

Beautiful drive. Unique and lots of wildlife.

scenic driving

Pretty drive. Great mountain views. High elevation at certain points.

scenic driving

The Mt Washburn pass is the best part of this drive

scenic driving

Much of Yellowstone has burned over the years. I was there in 1968, and there was little sign of fires. In 2012, I would guess over half has burned.

scenic driving

After visiting the rest of the park, we came into Tower-Roosevelt from the west. Black Bears, Grizzly Bears and Bison were easy to see, even from the road. After staying over at Tower-Roosevelt, with side trips up the Lamar Valley, we got our first experience of Dunraven Pass as we drove out to spend a night in Cody, WY. The large, plowed snowbanks on either side of the pass looked interesting, but didn't cause any concern. We continued down the Hayden Valley and out to the East Gate. The return to Tower-Roosevelt was uneventful, but beautiful. I could easily see myself driving along the Hayden Valley daily for the scenery and wildlife. When we left Tower-Roosevelt, it had been raining since the day before. We had been forewarned that the conventional wisdom said that rain in Tower-Roosevelt meant snow was likely in Dunraven Pass. I made the brilliant decision to start for the pass, promising my wife to turn back and go the long way if it snowed too badly. What an idiot! By the time I realized that the snow was too heavy, we were in the pass with no place to turn around. Snowflakes the size of silver dollars, and the tracks of the one speed-demon who passed us were buried within five minutes. As we drove, a grizzley sow and cub climbed up on the road and almost did a double-take, astounded by my stupidity in driving Dunraven in the snow! Anyway, all's well that end's well. We got an adventure and got down to Canyon Village safely - as I watched the rangers close the road gate in my rearview mirror. Less the Dunraven snow adventure, I can't wait for our next visit to Yellowstone - in less than nine months, for New Years Eve!