Surprise and Amphitheater Lakes Trail

Surprise and Amphitheater Lakes Trail is a 9.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moose, Wyoming that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Wyoming Business Council Tourism Office, Frank Norris Jr. Travel Center, I-25 & College Drive , Cheyenne, WY, 82002-0660, Phone: 307-777-7777, Fax: 307-777-6472

Excellent hike. Expect crowds in the summer.

In terms of accessibility in March, April, May, and much of June this trail is almost always covered with fiarly deep snow. September can be fabulous but we can also have decent snows by then. I have had wonderful almost entirely dry/no snow trails in November. The inner Park road is closed until May 1 and after November 1 so be sure you add on that mileage if going in those months. This is a wonderful hike and worth the "crowds." If you stay at the Grand Teton Climbers Ranch this is a great hike right out your door and the route up Burned Wagon Gulch will only add a mile and a half or so to the hike. Most places I would give this a 5 star rating but with other close by hikes like Hangling Canyon/Lake of the Crags, Avalanche Canyon's Lake Taminah, etc., I go with 4 here.

Beautiful! Hard hike. We did see a bear right along the trail on the way out, but it wasn't interested in us. We rock scrambled down to Delta Lake, which is my new favorite place. There is kind of a trail that spurs off the Amphitheater trail, but it's not well maintained. It would be much easier to get to it that way though than the way we went. There's not an official hike to it on AllTrails since they don't maintain it anymore (wish I knew why!)

Amphitheater was one of the most amazing alpine lakes I hiked to. Gorgeous destination! On the way down we encountered a black bear mom with 2 cute cubs. Made my day!! I will come back to Tetons!

Great hike which lets you overlook the entire valley as you go into the Grand Teton range. I went early September before the weather got too cold. The two lakes are not the most phenomenal lakes but it is pleasant to have lunch and relax once you're there. If you want to continue your hike and bag a peak, there is a trail that is not on the maps that lead you up to Disappointment Peak. It can be a class 3 or 4 scramble up but well worth it. Once you summit, you will be surrounded by the three Tetons.

The payoff is great! This is a long and very difficult hike for people who are not accustomed or ready for it.

Love it! This is a great hike, it's a nice steep switch back trail. Every time we have gone up to the lakes we have seen animal life. A MUST DO!

One of the most amazing hikes I've ever done. Grand Teton has so much beauty to offer. The hike is hard and exposed for some long switchbacks. Luckily the temp was high 60's so wasn't a problem. Highly recommend this hike! We saw two bears and just a few people! Start early to catch the bears and lose the crowds.

Not as hard as it sounds. You should do it.

Not as difficult as the post sounds. I didn't see any bears but most people on the trail say they did. Approx. 5 hours up and down, the lakes at the top are beautiful and a great place for lunch. after depending 2 miles I found the split trail head to Granet Canyon to make it a 14 mile round trip. Great hike in the park.

These lakes were the most amazing view I have ever seen. 10/10 recommend. The marmots would follow us around also. There is an awesome waterfall as well! It's the perfect lake for a mid hike swim.