Sheep Lake Trail

Sheep Lake Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Centennial, WY that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Arlington: North Trailhead: Travel 11 miles on Forest Road #111 and 2 miles south on Forest Road #101.

I was out exploring the back roads when I came across the north trail head (off Sand Lake Road) and decided to check it out. It was a relatively easy trail with a combination of woods and open spaces early on. I only made it about 5 miles in when it started getting dark, so I didn't get to see any mountain vistas or Sheep Lake. I did see three moose along the trail, which was pretty cool. Thankfully, my puppy did not. Next time I'll try this one from the Brooklyn Lake trail head. The views are probably much more noteworthy.

The pictures from the review of Jeff Herronen are not of the Sheep Lake Trail. He appears to be hiking along North Gap Lake. Sheep Lake trail runs from near Brooklyn Lake around the east end of Browns mtn passing Twin Lakes then turning west on its way to Sheep Lake. The trail then continues north to Sand Lake.

Backpacked into the lakes, and packed around the other side of the mountain. Probably in the 15-20 mile range. As you can see from the pictures, there are some places where you are boulder-ing across some rocks. Beautiful views, and great weather!