Periodic Spring Trail

Periodic Spring Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Afton, WY that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until October.

Directions from Afton: Go east from Hwy. 89 on 2nd Avenue and continue on County Road #138 to the Forest boundary. Continue east on Swift Creek Road #10211 to road end. Park in the east parking lot. The trail leads up the north side of the creek out of the east end of the parking lot.

very easy for the kids and beautiful

Great and BEAUTIFUL hike! We went around 9am which was perfect. Low traffic and stunning views with the sun rising. Our 4 year old walked this hike easily and climbed to the top of the falls with a bit of help. When you reach the falls, go around the bend (looks rocky and overgrown) to get to a bridge in order to cross the river.

Absolutely beautiful hike! the whole way, you are following a beautiful, clear spring. it is relaxing and gorgeous. I wanted to take 2 million pictures! I did this with my 6yo, and, while the hike to the spring was easy, I think that the portion to the top is not really meant for kids. We did climb, and the view was AWESOME, but I was quite worried about the kid in our way down. Definitely an adventure. I would visit again, but might not do the climb.

Beautiful valley with a nice little climb. Was there too early in the year to see the spring act intermittent, buy climbed up to the to anyway.

We went in May and so missed out on getting to see it intermit, but it was well worth it regardless. For such a short and easy hike it offers great views up the towering rocky canyon walls, and of the gurgling creek, wilderness scenery, and fields of snow still piled in crevices. The drive up is also very beautiful in and of itself.

A short but beautiful hike loaded with wildflowers during our visit. The only "bad" thing was that with the snow melt going on the springs was not periodic at all...we waited and waited and waited and waited for the flow to stop but it never did...still worth the trip as it was gorgeous.

Gorgeous and easy.
The spring is only periodic in late summer and fall.
A beautiful hike anytime of year.

The 5 mike road to the trail head is in need of repair.

7/2014

Good trail for a quick family adventure. My brother and I took our young boys and all 5 of them (all 2-5 years old) had a great time. It's not difficult non too long for kids.

This trail is a short but sublime hike through a canyon ending in one of the most unique geologic formations you will ever see. The trail is wide and slightly uphill with greenery and wildflowers. You follow a clear mountain stream through this canyon as it gradually narrows until you reach a view of the cascade from the spring. Shortly after you will cross a bridge to some picnic tables and an interpretive sign. After crossing the bridge you have the choice to turn around, or follow a rough steep trail uphill to where the spring pours from the cliff face. The hike to the spring is schetchy and steep and not great for kids, but the experiance of the water shutting off, and waiting for it to come gurgling back is something you wont get anywhere else.