Paintbrush Canyon & String Lake Loop Trail to Lake Solitude

Paintbrush Canyon & String Lake Loop Trail to Lake Solitude is a 21 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moose, WY that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September.

beach

The trail is in excellent shape. After the picnic area and parking lot, the trail is no longer wheelchair accessible, but it is still wide and in terrific shape and offers more sandy beaches and outstanding views. You will cross over the stream that feeds the lake via a footbridge. From there you enter a mature forest. Be sure to watch for wildlife. We have seen deer, moose, and an occasional bear. Follow the trail signs until you cross another footbridge and you are back at the trailhead.

Favorite hike of my life so far! Absolutely beautiful. We started at String Lake TH, went through lower and upper Paintbrush Canyon to Holly Lake. After that it's about 2-2.5 miles to the divide. Sketchy at the end of July with snow patches but we knew it was doable without an ice axe. Check the trail condition! Stunning views the whole way. Hard hike to Holly Lake. We camped in lower paintbrush, which is definitely underrated! Saw a moose there.

We took paintbrush canyon all the way to the paintbrush divide. We camped in lower paintbrush camping zone because the upper was full- which I'm glad happened because the view from our campsite (the last one in the lower camping zone where it says 2 sites and it's the higher up one on the rock faces you have to hike up a bit to get to) was gorgeous with views of Leigh and Jackson lake. It took us a while to get to the divide and once you do, the trail gets a little sketchy with all loose rock and a little bit of on all fours climbing and just one snow field. (No need for ice axes in August) but it is well worth it once you get to the top because of the views of the cathedral group (The Grand, Mt. Owen and Mt. Teewinot) it is a difficult hike with a 4,000 vertical ft climb, so not for beginners. But it is WELL worth the struggle.

Hiked this on my 45th birthday last year...the first part of the trail was very scenic, 2nd part not so much, as it looked to be damaged by fire, kind of barren. Hiked through a lot of snow/mud, but it was still early season for area. Great workout, great experience, great hike.

I utilized this trail as a connector to Inspiration Point and Hidden falls; Mainly to avoid the large crowds for as much as possible near Jenny Lake. Also, I had heard trail was marked as "most likely to see a bear." It worked great! I loved this trail, mainly for the wildlife! We saw three black bears while on the trails and lots of little creatures (Falcons, Marmots, etc). The views were great as well!

I did Paintbrush Canyon to Holy lake. Great hike!

Long day. We did the paintbrush canyon to cascade canyon loop. Really enjoyed holly lake. The climb to the divide was tough. Lots of snow. But the worst part was the decent from the divide to lake solitude. 2 miles of feet pounding scree.

Went on this one with the kids. After seeing dozens of signs warning of us a brown colored Black Bear in the area who liked to munch on people's picnics, we saw him ambling across the road right in front of us. The hiker to our front could have reached out and touched him - I've never seen someone freeze stiff so quickly, but the bear was quite unconcerned. Beautiful lake on a not too crowded hike, would definitely recommend it.

This is an easy walk through some of the most beautiful country in the world! On a calm morning Mt Moran reflecting off String Lake is better than any picture you will ever see. In the late summer you can eat wild strawberries the whole of the hike. It is an easy trail, but amazing as any trail I've seen.

This was an outstanding trail. The views were incredible, not to mention the opportunity to see various wildlife (including bears and moose).

We took the trail in the opposite direction as is typical - we started at the String Lake picnic area and headed toward Jenny Lake and Inspiration Point. This took us up Cascade Canyon and up toward Lake Solitude. We took our time, not knowing how hard the trek up to the divide really was. We ended up getting to camp in Upper Paintbrush near 8:00 PM with just enough time to pitch camp and start cooking before darkness fell.

All in all this was an awesome trail with some breathtaking views.

Easy walking path. Beautiful views, minimal elevation change. Worth the time!

Nice walk along a mountain lake with the Tetons as your shadow. Great hike for kids, older adults, and a start that leads into more difficult trails.

My brother and myself only went in as far as Paintbrush Lower, but it was still an incredible hike as we circled Leigh lake and went up and then came back down the other side. We camped that night probably 3-4 miles up and it was awesome. We had a family of Marmots around us and saw a Moose off in the distance, not to mention the breathtaking views. Would highly recommend this hike if your in the Grand Teton NP. Also you need a backcountry permit and bear canister as well.

This hike has taken the mantle of my greatest hiking experience. The wildflowers in the alpine meadows were stunning, and as we got higher, the views to the valley below were burned into my memory forever.

A nice easy hike. Very kid friendly -- young kids. String Lake is pretty. From NPS: "Trail circles the lake through a burned area below Rockchuck Peak and Mount St. John."

I think the hiking books call this a hike but it's more of a boardwalk-trail-deal in GTNP. It's easy, good for kids & grandparents. Bring some beach stuff.

I've been in the greater Yellowstone area for three years now, mowing down miles every chance I get. I must say that Paintbrush Canyon is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Up to Holly Lake, there is an abundance of vegetation, cascades, and wildflowers. It is prime habitat for moose and bears. After Holly Lake, the scenery changes dramatically as you approach Paintbrush Divide. The greenery becomes more sparse, with only the toughest foliage clinging on to the rocky ground. You gain around 1300 feet in the last 1.5 miles (this is a ventured guess), but you hardly notice the lack of oxygen because of the splendid views you have of the serrated Mt. Moran to the north and Jackson Hole below you. Upon reaching the 10,700 ft divide, I was enthralled with the unparalleled views of Lake Solitude and Mica Lake in the western distance. From the top, you also have a different view of Grand and some of the other surrounding peaks that are hard to find on postcards. I ended up doing the Paintbrush/Cascade loop, adding an extra 5 or 6 miles. Coming out of Cascade Canyon's North Fork from Lake Solitude affords you wide open, sweeping views of the Tetons. This hike reigns as one of my all-time favorites.