North Gap Lake Trail

North Gap Lake Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Centennial, WY that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Centennial: Travel 12 miles northwest on State Highway 130 to Sugarloaf Recreation Area.

Parked at Libby Lake on Free National Park Day. It was packed! It is normally $5 day fee. My three 6-9 year old's, two dogs and myself hiked over the saddle and camped for the night near Rainbow Lake. Amazing! Did not meet a soul after going over the saddle. Lost the trail a few times, but easy enough to find it again. Saw some moose and marmot. Very cold. Our packs and tent were frozen stiff the next morning. But not us! :)

Started out for North Gap. Wife and Kids were sick of the car before we got there so we stopped at Barber lake instead, about two or three miles below North Gap. Wonderful time the first mile or so is a little civilized, some cabins, cars, etc. After that the real trail begins. A little steep in some places, but overall this is a good family trail after about three miles, the trail forks the lower fork dead ends at a campsite and I assume the other fork connects to Barber Lake.

Very scenic trail. Started at Sugarloaf Campground. Check snow conditions on trail, take sunscreen and insect repellent. Adventurous hikers need to crest the peak west of North Gap Lake, attack from the North side, Todd Scott memorial plaque at peak. For snowmobilers this hill is known as Widow-maker.

Absolutely incredible trail! It ranks as one of two of my all time favorites. I started on the Lakes Trail and then trail ran up North Gap Lake Trail till the snow and ice made it impossible for me to push on. Along the way you see stunning views of the mountains, I spotted a moose, and you'll enjoy hearing the rock badgers chirp at you as you circumnavigate the lakes.