Medicine Bow Trail

Medicine Bow Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Saratoga, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is best used from June until November.

Rocky scramble at higher elevation, subalpine wildflowers are plentiful. Very steep and follows switchbacks up to the highest points on the Snowy Range.

off road driving

Great hike, good scenic views looking down on various glacier lakes. Pretty windy at the top but well worth it. This area looks like a scene from Lord of the Rings...

Great hike with the dog! A few snow patches, but it was fine, my feet didn't get wet. It was easy to follow all the carines to get to the peak.

Amazing views!

awesome hike. Give yourself a lot of time, start early and be cautious of weather. 6.9 miles for the full loop. amazing views. Not the hardest hike at all that I've done but definitely not for those who arent prepared to get in a workout.

I love this trail. I think what really makes it hard is the elevation change about halfway up. Bring plenty of water.

Hiked this last October, started beautiful then Hail and lightening came while I was above tree line, other than that, this hike is beautiful! The trail is clearly marked above tree line as well. ✌

Great Hike to see the whole range. Very Rocky at times.

the best spot in the snowys is on top of the medicine bow peak! the switch backs and considering are insane bit worth it!

Hiked this June 29th. Started up the front and descended the back. The snow was too soft on the steep face to feel safe crossing. We hiked around a steep boulder field to avoid the snow. Beautiful views. Great hike. Would enjoy more without the snow.

I agree with Jacob below. My friend and I hiked the loop yesterday, June 26th and did not expect the amount of snow covering many parts of the trail. It was incredibly slick. We made the entire hike up the back and down the front, but lost the trail several times as it was snow covered. Beautiful sights and wildflowers, but it would've been nice to know the amount of snow. I look forward to hiking this again when it's a little more clear.

Beautiful area/view. I went on June 25th though and there was still 3-6 ft of ice-hard snow in some areas. It was even on the trail in a lot of spots, including on extremely steep mountain sides, making crossing extremely dangerous (I was stupid and did it anyway, it was extremely unsafe). Go as late in the year as possible to avoid the snow. I would have given it a higher rating if an effort was made to clear the trail/warn hikers of snowed-over areas on the mountain side. I can see how people would love it though if it wasn't a life-threatening experience though.

One of our favorite areas! Hike here 3-4 times every summer, and always bring guests from out of town because it's great for all ability levels. We live in Fort Collins and love to hike with no crowds and friendly people. I always tell people this is an instant gratification hike because the view from the parking lot alone is worth the trip. No need to charge for the summit if you don't want to. Always get an early start though because storms move in fast in the early afternoon and there isn't much cover.