Lone Star Geyser Trail

Lone Star Geyser Trail is a 5.3 mile out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, WY that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible from May until October.

hot springs

Yellowstone National Park PO Box 168 Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190-0168 307-344-7381 (recorded information and an option to speak with someone) Additional info: http://www.nps.gov/yell/contacts.htm

Three hours between eruptions. There is a log book that one should write it to help latter hikers know about when the show begins. Flat, partially paved trail. Worth the trip!

Great Hike! About 2 miles out to the geyser. This hike is definitely worth it to see the geyser. You can get really close to the geyser without any fences or railings.

Beautiful!

This is a very easy trail that follows a beautiful river most of the hike. I highly recommend this for families with young children.

Wife and I hiked the Howard Eaton Trail to Lone Star Geyser, which begins with a lengthy, steady climb. Once past this climb, the next segment of the trail is an enjoyable stroll through the forest. The next segment involves a descent that isn’t as long or as steep as initial climb. At junction with Shoshone Lake Trail, GO STRAIGHT to continue to Lone Star Geyser. First view of this geyser from the trail is impressive. We waited about 90 minutes for the next eruption (based on time of previous eruption recorded in logbook), and it was well worth the wait. Initial phase of eruption is entertaining, and second phase is quite forceful. Please note: Despite what some guidebooks say, park rangers at Old Faithful Visitor Education Center DO NOT have estimated eruption times for Lone Star Geyser. We returned the way we came, having the trail all to ourselves most of the way to the geyser and the entire way back.

In our group: My wife and I, our 10-year old son and 14-year old niece.

Very easy and fairly flat hike. Eruptions are basically every 3-hours around 10a, 1p, 4p and so on. We arrived at Lone Star around 9:45a and a major eruption started at 10:17a and there was still activity occurring when we started the hike back at 10:45a. Be sure to time it right, arriving early and hanging out for awhile is much better than arriving late and missing out!

Lessons learned: I wish we would have explored the Old Faithful area and watched it erupt before doing Lone Star. We watched Lone Star erupt with just our small group of 4 people and one other person. Old Faithful is over in 2-3 minutes and the experience is shared with a massive amount of people. My niece summed up what I think we were all thinking when she said, "Well, that was disappointing!" So, I would suggest exploring around Old Faithful and get that done and then go to Lone Star Geyser.

Nice wide easy trail. Geyser was amazing. Worth the walk and wait.

Did Lonestar trail. Weather was perfect for a hike. Trail still had snowy patches in last mile to Geyser. Beautiful creek flows along much of the hike. Easy hike.

Would've been great on a bike, but as a hiker starting off a backcountry trip, the pavement was horrible for my feet and knees. The geysir itself is pretty cool if you're lucky enough to see it go, both times I passed it I had missed seeing it by 5/10 minutes.

This is one of my favorite trails in the Yellowstone NP. We took our 3 year girl and she walked the whole way there and most of the way back. This is a very family friendly trail. One of the best features is that this trail follows the Firehole river for a good way. It's very peaceful and not a lot of people. We actually missed the eruption by about 20 minutes but we weren't disapointed.

Easy hike, but one of the most magnificent eruptions in the park.

Good hike, paved for bikers up to lone star geyser, continue after lone star and the trail is great!

Not very crowded but an interesting feature in the middle of nowhere. We biked in 2.5 miles (easy with some up hill) secured out bikes, and then hiked some of the connecting trails in the backcountry. Did not see another person for hours. Just remember to bring bear spray and make lots of noise!

There is a box with a log book, where people write the times of eruption for Lone Star Geyser. It erupts about every 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.