Lake Solitude Trail

Lake Solitude Trail is a 16.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, WY that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and birding and is accessible from July until September.

Directions from Moose: Travel North to South Jenny Lake along the Teton Park Road. Once at South Jenny Lake park either at the Jenny Lake Visitor Center or near the boat dock which offers a boat shuttle across the lake

beautiful hike

Great hike. Packed a lunch and ate it in the snow around the lake! The temperature varied greatly on this hike so be sure to take a fleece.

Solitude Lake was a great trail with outstanding views of the Tetons. The last 3 miles are a little tough though with steep vertical incline for 3 miles until you reach Solitude Lake. The lake is amazing with great views. However, on the day we went, the second half of the trail was covered with bugs and horseflies. The second half was a little rough with all the horseflies and bug spray will not prevent them from coming towards you. I think we didn't come on a good day for this hike but if there was better conditions, I think the hike would be a whole lot better.

Hiked in June, and there was snow on the trail on last 2-3 miles. Lake was still mostly frozen. Beautiful trail.

Great hike. Absolutely gorgeous views from inside the canyon.

Most of the snow had melted from the mountain around the lake but the lake was plenty cold still (perhaps always). There were moose spotted today. The ranger we spoke with said that it is a little early in the season for the huckleberries to be blooming, so the bears may stay away until then. The only other thing that I'd like to add is that I think the length of the trail varies from the official Park Service information (posted on the trail and provided in documentation). The National Park Service lists it as:

1.7 miles from String Lake trailhead to Cascade Canyon (0.3 miles from String Lake trailhead to where the String Lake trail veers off to go to Jenny Lake and 1.4 miles from there to Cascade Canyon North Fork, horse trail)

From the boat dock (which is probably another 0.2-0.3 miles), the Park Service lists the trail to Lake Solitude as being 15 miles. So, 15 + 2 * (1.7 + 0.2) is 18.8. This calculation doesn't count the extra little bit that you have to walk from the sign marking the end of the trail to the other side of the rock where the lake actually is...if you wanted to physically touch the lake.

I did this hike in late June on a perfect day. Caught the 7am boat from Jenny Lake for the $5 special and to cut a few miles off the trip. This was not a technically difficult hike or overly strenous but be aware there is alot of wildlife in the park, carry bear spray and hike in small groups to reduce your risks. The scenery is spectacular and gets even better after Cascade Canyon and past the fork to Lake Solitude. The highlight for me was reaching the end if seeing the stunning Lake Solitude alpine lake.

Some of the most beautiful terrain in the United States in my opinion. Took the Jenny Lake boat to shave off some miles. The last 2-3 miles were in pretty deep snow (early June) and we post holed quite a few times, but wasn't too bad. Everyone on the trail had bear spray, but didn't see any bears. :(

Amazing views throughout. Once you get there, rest your feet in the cool lake. If your up for the challenge, hike over the paintbrush pass.

This is a really awesome hike up to Lake Solitude. We hiked it June 16 and found lots of snow up towards the summit and a frozen lake. The trail is well kept, with clear directions and mileage. We caught the first ferry at 7:00 from South Jenny Lake and returned at around 4:00. Going early is better as you beat the crowds that go up to Inspiration point and then start to thin out after that. However, coming back the large crowd slow down your descend at that same point. We were able to see a pair of Moose. All in all, amazing hike.

we took the ferry and started at 830am and finished at 430pm. we went to the lake and back - we did not do the loop. the national park maps said 14.5 miles out and back but my wife's gps clocked it at 15.4 miles. it was a hard hike because once you get out of the forest cover, its a straight uphill ~4 mile hike. the elevation is a bit less than the normal staircase but it just seemed never ending. i promise you it is worth the effort. it is the most beautiful hike i've ever done and i've been to yellowstone, rocky mountain park and Denali in Alaska. i just kept saying "wow"

This is voted as one of top 20 hikes by National Geographic.

Checkout my blog site for my personal experience.

One of the hikes you would love to remember on a boring Tuesday afternoon! This is a journey into tranquility. The unforgettable landscape of snowcapped mountains, the sound of waterfalls all along the trail and the still quietness of the lake, makes this a hiker’s paradise!

Our favorite hike in Grant Teton NP. Did the hike from Jenny Lake (opted to skip the ferry ride). The trail is busy from Hidden Falls to Inspiration Point (where most ferry riders congregate). However, past Inspiration Point, the trail crowds ease significantly. Further, crowds lessens once the trail splits, about 2 miles before the lake.

Overall, the hike in Cascade canyon offers wonderful scenery along the creek. In addition, wildlife is abundant. My lot saw things from a moose, a black bear, marmots, and your standard min-bears (chipmunks). Likewise, the views are spectacular. The hike is strenuous, primarily because of distance. Regardless of if you do the loop through paintbrush divide or out-and-back it from Inspiration Point, you're looking at near 20 miles. Elevation was not bad. Gradual incline.

This is a must do hike.

trail can be a bit crowded near the falls at the lower section, but once you get a few miles in the people peter out. I did this trail before the snow was all melted, and it made travel difficult in the 3 miles leading to the lake, but worth the view.

We hiked this trail starting at the String Lake trail head. The trail starts through beautiful forest for the first few miles. When we were there last August (2011), Holly Lake was still surrounded by snow and climbing Paintbrush Divide, we were glad to have ice axes. I am glad we went that direction because the trail from Lake Solitude down through Cascade Canyon is much easier. My knees would have really hated descending Paintbrush Canyon.

Most amazing hike yet in my life. Went early August, did the loop in 1 day. Would recommend spending a night on the trail to make it more enjoyable and have time to take more pictures. Weather can change rapidly, to try to be down from the paintbrush divide (10,700ft) before 3pm.