Happy Jack Ski Trails

Happy Jack Ski Trails is a 6.5 mile loop trail located near Laramie, WY that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

For my two years as a graduate student at U. of Wyoming, Happy Jack has been my go-to for emergency nature visits. At just 15 mins or so from Laramie, this trail is so easily accessible when I need to run my dogs or find some quiet. Surprisingly, even being so nearby I have more often than not found the place entirely to myself, though I've seen lots of cross-country ski tracks, trail runners, and the like year round. The only disadvantages to this place are the fact that snow comes heavy and often makes the trailhead inaccessible by vehicle, and also that the nearby highway can snap your dream state at certain points in the trail. High summer months also bring intolerable waves of biting flies and mosquitoes. I have seen moose in these parts more than any other land animal, as they especially like the mountain pools. I have had some really joyful experiences with this very convenient trail, especially with my dog who loves it even more than me. I'll be sad not to have this in my backyard anymore.

Further adventures in Happy Jack....I was relieved of the inconvenience of my real job early in the day, so after an hour or so of preparation, I loaded up a snowboard and went to Happy Jack with a two buddies and my father in tow. The first trail we found was a bunny slope and after a few trips down and back the three of us decided it best to find steeper fair. After a mile drive down an access road we found a hill to our liking and took turns riding this slope once each. I highly recommend this area for any one who just wants to do one or two good board runs. Riding down is fast, furious and the walk back up is tiring and sweat inducing. We ended our trip with a round of Hack and coffee. As an added note; our spot was to the left of the Tie City turn off.

rock climbing

I can not say that I was on any ski trail but I was in the general vicinity of Happy Jack Road and spied with my little eye a wonderful rock formation. As it seemed to be taunting me I pulled off the road and skipped across a field to its base. The wind (its Wyoming why wouldn't there be wind) was coming from the west so I climbed up the east slope of this formation. Half way up I found a bolt set. "Why would someone bolt this?" I said. I found what I thought would be an easy route, then got stuck, then after an adrenaline filled moment or two found a new path. On top of the formation I could plainly see the wind farm off in the distance, It was a great way to start my morning . Even if your just wanting a nice Sunday drive hop on Happy Jack. Bored with Highway? Blair-Wallis cuts through the NP and connects a road that will take you back to the Linclon head rest stop or there is Veudawoo road which will lead you back into...Veudawoo.

Customize your ride with the loops at Happy Jack. You can go as easy or hard as you want depending on the route. Watch for hikers and equestrians that frequent the trail.