Glacier Trail

Glacier Trail is a 44.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Dubois, WY that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Dubois: Travel 4 miles south on Highway 26-287 to Whiskey Basin - Trail Lake Road. Continue west on this road for 2.5 miles to Trail Lake -Whiskey Basin Junction. Turn left and follow the south trending road and the Trail Lake ranch signs to the cable across the road, and parking area at mile 11.1. Hikers must proceed on past the cable on the road another .9 mile to the forest boundary and New Glacier trailhead

I did this trail for a 3 day Gannett peak climb. I found this easier to do than the titcomb basin side. There is water pretty much the whole way. Very scenic.

Glacier Trail was my first backcountry camping and mountaineering experience. This past August 2012 I traveled with six other students and two instructors from the Central Wyoming College to make a summit attempt on Gannett Peak. We began at the Whisky Mountain Trailhead near Dubois, Wyo. and hiked straight through ending in Pinedale, Wyo.

It was an amazing 11 days in the backcountry. We did successfully reach the summit of Gannett and spent a few days in the cirque. It was a hard push on the way out because we only had permission to camp 10 miles beyond the Cirque. We had to climb Bonney Pass and Knapsack Col before reaching our target campsite. It was a great adventure.