UW Arboretum

UW Arboretum is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Madison, WI that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from January until January.

Both times I went to the park were rather miserable. There were so many mosquitoes, I was eaten alive, even with mosquito repellent. This year though has been particularly harsh throughout the state.
Other than that, the first time I went was just atrocious. I was hoping to get the full view of the area and had not really seen the trail map but had heard there were 20 miles of hiking trails. I went to the Visitor Center, and they gave me the map for the Horticultural Gardens. This is not the same as the trail map. I ended up getting so ridiculously lost that I had to go to the main road to find where I was before I officially gave up.
The second time I went was much more enjoyable. The hike was very quiet with pleasant shade in the woods and gentle breezes. The prairie had at least seven-foot tall flora that kept me from getting burnt to a crisp as well. The trails ranged in size from being about ten-feet across to just barely two feet. The variety of this place is astounding and definitely a great thing to come see.
Overall though, this is a quick short jaunt that is completely flat. If this is what you are looking for in the middle of Madison, you're in luck. This is perfect for families or for someone who just wants a quick walk. If you want to hike for a few hours though, this will not suffice largely because it gets old very quickly.