Norman Merrill Chester Round and Back

Norman Merrill Chester Round and Back is a 1.5 mile out and back trail located near Hartland, Wisconsin that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from December until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hidden home to many species of plant and animal alike...Diverse topography. This hike in what I consider to be a "hidden" little jem of a property is one of my favorites... It's a great little hike if you just need to get a quick fix!! You start out with some moderate rolling terrain typical of the Kettle Moraine in this area. After a bit the trail emerges into a wildlife opening that I've kicked up quite a few turkey and deer from as long as your approach is quiet enough.. After moving through the opening, you take a slight downhill towards the river and follow it for awhile. There are many opportunities to just stop for a bit and soak in the quiet... I've done it many times!! After the river viewing, you walk through a nice pine plantation and eventually meet the trail you came in on to get back to the trailhead... This property is over 170 acres and is full of birds!! Nice one for some peace and quiet!!

Beautiful woods. The trail is unmarked and at times gets a little lost completely - especially in the pines, but my kids thought that was a little more exciting. Nice quick hike though.

Went for a nice walk with my family. Finding the path in the pines was a little difficult in places, but it was a good length of a hike for my small children.

One of the warmest days we've had in quite some time. Enjoyed returning back to this trail after a long time since my last visit. Everything had grown just a bit, but I had fun watching deer, birds,
and squirrels.