Morgan Falls and St Peter's Dome Trail

Morgan Falls and St Peter's Dome Trail is a 1.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mason, WI that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Morgan falls is nice and short hike. FYI this trail is currently closed due to road wash out. A lot of people park at the road close sign and walk the 1.3 mile down the road to the trail. St. Peter's Dome isn't worth the 3.7 miles around trip hike unless the fall colors have changed fully. It's a nice view across the valley but the path is pretty rocky. About 2 hour hike around trip from the road.

This is an excellent hike. What the description doesn't really tell you is that only the dome is the 4 mile hike up a steep hill. The waterfall is gorgeous and only about a half mile down an easy trail. While the views from the dome were nice, the waterfall is what made this hike fun.

Fantastic views from the waterfall to the peak of the dome! Simply beautiful!

But please note the rating, we saw many leisurely hikers that were not prepared for the length of the ascent.

We went here in the summer of 2013 and climbed up the side of the waterfall area to get some good pictures! The bugs were bad but if you could get past that part it was very nice :D! I would return for some pictures and a nice hike!

We did this the weekend that was peak colors for the fall! I was told that it was 3 miles, so it seemed a lot longer than that, and with the elevation at the end, I was ready to be at the top. The waterfall was beautiful and refreshing to see, and there weren't too many people at the top, it was relaxing to be up there!

I did this trail in the fall. The trail head is well marked and a privy is nearby. We did the hike to Morgan Falls before going to St. Peter's. The waterfall was beautiful and the water was still flowing. The hike up the hill was a good gentle work-out. The dome was not what I thought. Since others were there picnicking it was hard to see the view. Not much room and it gets crowded quickly. The leaves were just starting to turn and so you could see the color change in the area below. It was a good hike and I would do it again.

Morgan Falls and St. Peter's Dome brings back fond memories! I lived for a summer in 1975 at the old CCC campsite not too far from the Falls, using it as a base camp for my geology Master's thesis. I spent many an afternoon or evening sitting on some perch near the falls reading all manner of book - Dante's Divine Comedy among others. My field assistant and I would often take a walk up to St. Peter's Dome after a hard day traversing along section lines in the bush looking for rock outcrops. There were many black bear in the vicinity, and we could almost count on one in the evening or the early morning coming through the camp. They never bothered us, but I must say they scared the hell out of some bikers who had decided this was the perfect place to drink some beer over the 4th in 1975 (perhaps my greasing their motorcycles with a leftover hot dog helped draw the bears to their campsite).

This is a very beautiful place, and I recommend it as a hike for all ages, although the access road can be a bit challenging. I am now nearly 62, and have hiked all over the Cascades, the Andes, the Highlands of Papua New Guinea and the Rocky Mts in the years that have passed since 1975, and I can say without any hesitation that this still is one of my favorite hikes.

Great trail with an even better view.