Chippewa Lobe

Chippewa Lobe is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Medford, WI that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.3 miles Loop

I'm pretty new to backpacking so this is an amateur look at hiking. I found the trail to be challenging but not difficult. The Chippewa Lobe loop is very clearly marked and very easy to follow, the blue markers are used very well and frequently kept me going in the right direction. The only confusion was where it met up with the Ice Age Trail on the north east corner. There is a sign on the Ice Age Trail to mark where Chippewa Lobe splits off but it was turned and confused me for a moment until I thought about where I was and checked my compass. It can get very muddy in parts and some standing water was present but with trekking poles it was very easy to cross all parts. The bridges over water are very nice and sturdy.
There are two campsites on the loop. The first is about 1 mile from the loop trailhead sign going anti-clockwise around the trail. It has quite a few spots for tents and there is water near by. The second campsite is at the southern most part of the trail near a pond/lake formed by a beaver dam. The campsite is beautiful and really stands out from the rest of the trail. There is a fire pit and logs for seating around it. There is also a very nice bench to sit on and relax. The lake nearby makes for a beautiful sunset.
I really enjoyed hiking this trail for my first solo hike. It was a nice quick overnight trip that took me about 5.5 hrs to complete. It was about 2.5hrs to the second campsite from FR 108 and about 3hrs out. I'm not very fast.