Ziler Trail

Ziler Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Berkeley Springs, West Virginia that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome state park with more then one trail to hike. Great views

I liked this trail a lot the way up was vicious, great workout. I saw a young fawn suckling his mother. I saw no other hikers but they were running the twelve hour challenge on the lower trail. I think the back side of the mountain in fall will have amazing foliage views. The top walk across the mountain was very peaceful, by far my favorite. Lookout on the lower part the sign to the trail was changed by someone and you will end up by middle fork cabins.

Good burn up hill with some great views along the way. Definitely would and will do it again.

Great uphill battle for a while. Parking wasn't hard to find but I had trouble finding the trail head. I didn't park at the very bottom where as you enter the park. The view was great at the top. I am not sure if you are able to do a loop but it would have been better doing a loop rather than just turning back around and following the same path.

This trail was actually quite strenuous, with a steep ascents and a quad crushing descent whichever way you go, as is the case with circuit hikes. Rocky, so watch the ankles. Scenery is deep deciduous forest with some potential views that would be better in winter w/no leaves. Only saw one other hiker. Deer, squirrels, normal forest birds. Very quiet and peaceful. There is a shelter at the top if you need a picnic table.

This is the shorter option of an incredible trail. Mostly pine and oak but there are several other species and even blueberries although it was too late in the year for fruit. This is a rugged trail so be ready for a workout.

This trail is rugged and steep in places. Start at the boat dock entrance and climb to the top of Cacapon Mountain. In pioneer days it connected some small villages. You can bail in as little as 5 miles or continue for a total of 10 or 12. Most of the trail is well maintained and clearly marked but do not confuse that with easy. It is a long hard day.

This trail was gorgeous and was enough of a challenge to keep it interesting outside of the scenery. There are several good vantage points for views into/across the valley below, although I think that even the "views" opposed to the "winter views" marked on the map would be more significant after the leaves have fallen. I took Cecelia's advice and went counter clockwise on this loop, and appreciated the steeper ascent and more gradual descent. The blazes are sometimes far and few between, but the trail is well maintained and obvious (at least in early September...not sure how it would be after a fresh snowfall). There were quite a few blueberry bushes, some Mountain Laurel as the altitude increased, a few pines and alot of oaks (look out for dropping acorns!) We parked at the pond/lake fed by the North Fork Indian Run and started at the dam. I'm really excited to go back at various times of the year!

I love this park! I love the different trails!
Also close to the Sleepy Creek WMA. Nice overlooks on the south end.

I hike the Ziler Trail Loop trail regularly with my dogs. I love this trail because you can do the loop in varying directions and the trail is rarely used. I prefer to do the loop counter-clockwise, reaching Ziler's northern trail-head via the Tower Trail. By hiking up counter-clockwise, the ascent is steeper with more switch-backs, and the decent is longer, gradual and easier on my knees. A trail map can be found at http://www.cacaponresort.com/cacapon.pdf

After hiking all of the lower trails at Cacapon State Park, I decided that I was ready for this trail. I do enjoy hiking at Cacapon, although I do prefer the forest at Blackwater Falls much better, but for a close by day hike Cacapon is a great place. I'm rating this one 3 stars just because the forest is a young forest and not very dense. I was able to finish the hike in 3h44m and from the parking lot measured 6.99 mi.. I hiked going clockwise and it kicked my butt. Getting to the top took some effort due to the lack of level rest, it is a steady incline that seems to never end. However, once you make it to the top, the rest of the hike is an easy downhill. Trail has a good mixture of shale base so even after a big rain, the trails were dry but the descent is rocky. I saw 12 hikers and only 4 of them were on the upper trail, the rest were on the lower Central Trail and lower Ziler Trail sections. Glad to have this one completed, and take plenty of water for the ascent.

I hiked this trail a couple of weeks ago. he

The woods are alive and well. I hiked for 2.5 hrs on a Sunday morning before seeing anyone.

I'm always checking the woods for sounds. I registered the lowest reading of any woods anywhere on one of the trails. It was 37 dbl on my cell phone app.

How could you ask for more? solitude, healthy woods, personal renewal.

I've hike weekly, about 100 miles this year so far.

My favorite place to hike. There's no view but the wildlife is always brilliant. I'm always chasing herds of deer. It really is a simple trail but I love it all the same. At the top it levels off and the way the sun streams through makes it look like another world.