Spruce Knob - West Virginia Highpoint

Spruce Knob - West Virginia Highpoint is a 42 mile point-to-point trail located near Riverton, West Virginia and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and is accessible from May until November.

42.0 miles Point to Point

scenic driving

12 mile drive to the top. Beautiful views to stop and take photos. 17 miles if you want to stop at the lake and go for a hike or fish. Enjoy.

scenic driving

Came here on the last day of my weekend in WV, drove up the mountain and then walked the short trail to the look out tower. Loved all the trees and the thistles that were in bloom. However the best part of the whole experience was getting to see an adolescent black bear cross the road right in front of me on my drive back down the mountain, absolutely amazing! Really want to come back and walk some of the longer trails.

Very enjoyable trail. We left the summit and hiked down Huckleberry Trail 4.7 miles, then took a right on Lumberjack Trail. After about a mile on Lumberjack we found debris from the airplane hanging in the tree on the left side as we traveled. From there it's a 30 second hike into the woods downhill to the crash site.
Round trip it was just under 5 hours. We had our 10 year old with us. The hike was mostly wooded, with not many vistas but still beautiful. We met many other hikers. There was no a lot of elevation change, and most of the hike was fairly flat. The footing was the challenge. Much of it was either roots or rocks. I wore my running shoes but if I do it again I will wear my hiking boots for a little harder sole. Forget about cell service, so either take a map or GPS. I lost cell service along the drive and was able to find the summit by following the signs.

Hiked twice, just didn't have this app and cell coverage was very poor.

By far my favorite trail on the east coast. I've done this hike in every season, even trekking in on the snow covered roads just to sleep on snow at the first campsite just off the parking lot. You will cross mountainside meadows, sleep by waterfalls, and if you know where to look, investigate a plane crash from the 70s. I highly recommend this trail.

scenic driving

I loved it. Can't wait to return on a nice day.

scenic driving

What a beautiful spot. I am amazed that the highest point in West Virginia is less than 5000 feet. It seems so vertical all over the state. It was raining hard by the time I got here so all the fun stuff will need to be on the next visit. And yes, there will be a next visit.

Nice area to hike and enjoy views of West Virginia. Only crowded around the easy-to-access summit near a parking area...but the best spots aren't busy.

It was cloudy the day I was there but it was still beautiful.