Skyline to Rocky to Narrow Gauge

Skyline to Rocky to Narrow Gauge is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Danese, WV that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

old growth

I only did the Narrow Gauge section. After walking an extremely muddy 1 mile + down Old Sewell Rd I reached the trailhead of Narrow Gauge. Shortly into the trail turned into singletrack with overgrown plants along both sides. We tried to be careful and avoid contact with them but most of the time it was impossible. I knew there was a swinging bridge ahead so I trudged on determined to walk on one for the first time. We made it to the bridge, definitely the highlight of the trek. I tried to go on but after navigating a steep and rocky section, I could see it was more overgrown singletrack. This trail has potential if maintained properly. The intention of the hike was to determine if the trail wasgood for an upcoming mountain biking trip. In its current state, I would not consider taking a bike on it. Call to see if the trail has been maintained before venturing out. Although it didn't turn out to be anything significant, my hiking partner had welts and a rash before we made it back to the car.