North Bend Rail-Trail

North Bend Rail-Trail is a 70.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Parkersburg, WV that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

70.1 miles 0 feet Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

rails trails

An access point with parking for the north bend rail trails

This was a nice ride. There were a few sprinkles but otherwise a nice day.

It was a beautiful day yesterday, but I have no idea why we wanted to ride bikes this far. It was very scenic and followed a lot of water. The tunes were interesting.

I've been biking different parts of this trail since I was a kid. Still one of my favorite places.

Beautiful maintained path.

Nice smooth ride through some pretty long dark tunnels. You can skip rocks on some of the creeks if you go off the path a little bit. Come here all the time :)

Well-maintained trail! Check out the Silver Run tunnel, it's haunted!

I started biking at the terminus near happy valley road and road for several miles before turning around. It was decent and the trail followed some waterways, went through some residential, some deciduous forest areas, wooden bridges, and under a free way. I passed another biker and a horse rider while out.

If I was going to do it again, I would probably drive out near ellenborro where the tunnels. And have a friend park at the end.

I have hike short bits of this trail several times and find it to be very nice. The tunnels are neat and fun to go through. Also biked on it once as well.

I rode the North Bend trail through from the eastern terminus to the western terminus. It is very unkept and run down in the east near Salem, but after it turns into crushed gravel after the longest tunnel, it becomes fairly nice. Riding through the North Bend park was a treat, and the scenery was very cute. It was mid June at the time, and it got very got in the sun around Petroleum where the shade becomes fairly rare. The rest of the trail runs under a canopy of trees most of the time

Certain parts in the way also ran through unpleasant communities so that's something to be cautious about as well.

The camping sites were few and far, but the couple there are we're placed in even grounds.

Don't recommend riding the eastern half.

Only managed a small portion of this trail this trip but it was nice enough that we will definitely return and do more of the trail. We rode from Cairo to Ellenburg...maybe about 9 miles. Cairo is a cute little town which actually caters to bicyclers getting on the trail. Ellenburg is just a town that the trail passes through but there is a McDonalds and a Dairy Queen just off the trail! Most of the trail is gravel base and there are several tunnels that serve to cool you off when you ride on a hot day like we did but be cautious...the tunnels are a little bumpy and damp! Some nice views along the way in these foothills of West Virginia!