Loudoun Heights Trail

Loudoun Heights Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Harpers Ferry, WV that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This high ground was occupied by Confederate general John George Walker during the Battle of Harpers Ferry, September 12-September 15, 1862. Loudoun Heights was also the site of a night attack made on January 10, 1864, by Col. John S. Mosby's Rangers against Major Henry A. Cole's 1st Potomac Home Brigade Maryland Volunteer Cavalry. Mosby's attack failed and ended a long run of engagements between Mosby's Rangers and Cole's Cavalry. The Battle of Loudoun Heights was a small cavalry skirmish during the American Civil War between John Mosby's Rangers and Major Henry A. Cole's 1st Potomac Home Brigade Maryland Cavalry on January 9, 1864, in Loudoun County, Virginia. Cole's Cavalry successfully defended a night raid against their camp on Loudoun Heights. The fight was one of the first engagements in which Union forces held their own against Mosby's vaunted partisans.

Great trail. Nice views. Try taking the Orange blaze back to the white for a changeup

Great trail with steep inclines and challenging terrain. But there is no view at the top which was a little disappointing. Also no sign of water falls.

Easy hike for anyone that can handle normal walking. Good views of Harpers Ferry from a couple of vantage points. From the parking lot, it was a total of 7 +- miles that takes about 4 - 4.5 hours. Good idea to take some water, as the elevation gain may leave you a tad dehydrated on the way back to the car.

I loved this trail. Moderately challenging but very nice with good views. Not crowded at all.

This trail was challenging for me, I like that most of it is in the shade. If you're looking to get into shape like me then this trail will get your heart rate up! Enjoy!

Great hike off the AT. Nice view of a hawks nest and having them soar above on two of the side overlooks. Took about 4 hours from the start of the bridge to return. EconoLodge was our home base for the weekend and was a great start for all the hikes. My fitness tracker only gave me credit for 5 miles, but was using a much appreciated walking stick that may have limited the distance. The first mile up the AT across the bridge is the hardest part, the rest was easy.

Great hike!!

Once reaching the Loudoun Heights/AT sign on the top, the toughest part of this hike is over. From there, 1.5 miles to Split Rock Overlook is pretty easy. Highly recommend going to Split Rock. It is a view that is different from what one would have from Maryland Heights. If you park our car at the parking lot before the Rt-340 bridge, do remember to dispose $10/car in an envelop. NPS does patrol this lot and tickets those who do not have parking receipts on display.

started from the parking lot on Shenandoah st and walked to the scenic view which was about 2.3 miles.

the view is definitely worth the hike. though the power lines are an eye sore.

if you are in average shape the trail is not very hard but can be difficult at times. it levels out just when you would need a break.

its quiet and not a lot of traffic.

when you get to the sign at the top take a left to see the view otherwise it is not marked.

happy hiking!

Excellent hike. But for somebody who has been out of the hiking game for a few months it is strenuous. I've seen a few websites list this as moderate...I might tend to mostly agree for big sections of the trail but others definitely get difficult.

That said, it's a lot of reward for that view at the end. The orange return trail is a nice addition so that you don't have to see the identical path again for at least part of the return.

Cool waterfall relatively early on that is a good photo op. The end view from Split Rock is definitely good for panoramas. I actually took a Google photosphere to test out how nice it would look (haven't checked yet).

Great hike to get the blood flowing. I would definitely come up here again from my home in Montgomery County for this hike.

I'll give Maryland Heights and the Stone Fort Trail a go next I'd assume.

I love Harpers Ferry as a whole and had not been here in quite some time. Still as cool as I remember it.

Side note: We started our hike from the train station. That lengthens the hike a good bit. But if you are very tired returning you can walk the last section back to the parking lot along the road instead of going back up onto the App trail. We had to because we were aching badly by the time we got back close to town.

A little long, but a good hike.

My New Yeats hike. After some other hikes in the Harper's Ferry region, I finished with this one.

I ended 2015 with this December 31 hike. It nearly ended me because this is a difficult trail.

Not an easy trip as the way to Split Rock and back, but the view at Split Rock was with it. One of the overlooks did have ugly power lines, but be patient to the end.

Parked at the 'River Access' lot (Note, it's not free--the park service will find you!) where 340 crosses the Shenadoah (take immediate right after bridge, then another immediate right into the lot.)
Backtracked along the AT--a challenging climb because of the rapid elevation change and rock/root surfaces-- to the orange-blazed Loundon Heights Trail. The trail is nice and nicely marked, and a nice, beautiful view of Harpers Ferry is your reward. Nice cool breeze on a hot day.

Then, I made the mistake of taking the old AT route down from Loudon Heights to 340. Big mistake- the trail at first looks like it's heavily traveled (though officially closed) but by the end, I was bushwhacking to get out of there, covered in spiderwebs and cuts, and rewarded with a walk along 340 shoulder with traffic whizzing by....Dont' be foolish like I was! Take the Orange Blazes back to the regular AT (or there is a blue blazed return option about half-way back to the AT).