Island in the Sky Trail

Island in the Sky Trail is a 0.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Danese, WV that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

0.5 miles Out & Back

Beautiful vista!

Wonderful short hike...tons of beautiful scenery

Continuing from the Island in the Sky trail across the road I walked the Wilderness Trail from the beginning to the other end. The trail was quite easy with no long or steep hills. There were a couple of downed trees but it was easy to get by them. Using a bike would be fine on this trail but be aware there are blind spots where trail users might be encountered with short sight distance. Also lots of leaves on the ground make for slippery slopes. I saw several deer. Upon reaching the end of the trail I did an about face and walked back to the Triple Creek Trail. The hills were a little steeper and footing was more hazardous but still was no problem. Several more deer were encountered on this trail, mainly toward the far end near the swimming pool. Upon reaching the road by the swimming pool parking lot I went to the right and the main road then took a left down hill toward Boley Lake. Walking down to the lake boat dock I began the Lake View Trail toward the right. The trail was not marked as frequently as the preceding trails but was still fairly easy to follow. In most cases the correct path is nearest the lake. I encountered some beaver activity near the big rocks at one end of the lake. Upon reaching the dam near the boat dock I walked down the spur trail to my right before crossing the dam. It was not marked at the beginning but I soon encountered an orange trail marker which denotes the Lake View Trail. This trail was mostly down hill from here and ended just inside the gate on the road just above the grist mill.

By itself, I would give this hike 3 stars. When combined with the Wilderness Trail and the Triple Creek Trail and the Lake View Trail including the spur which takes you on about a 6 mile total circuit hike beginning and ending at the parking lot at the Glade Creek Grist Mill I would add another star. Beginning at my vehicle at the parking lot I hiked across the bridge and hiked up the Island In The Sky Trail. The hike starts out going uphill which is not difficult until you reach the rockier portion. It was still not hard but you need to be careful of foot placement to avoid a turned ankle. A hiking stick was helpful for me. Reaching the first wooden steps I was concerned of their integrity but they held up my 220 lbs. quite easily. Although my backpack scraped the overhead rock I had no problems. If you take children, you need to give them very close attention as there are many trails at the top that lead to overlooks with no railings. When I reached the other end of the trail I walked straight ahead to begin hiking the Wilderness Trail.

I know it's super short, but it was so much fun. There's a little bit of scrambling, and we went in the Fall so the colors were amazing. A great hike.

This trail has some very unique rocks along the way. The view is somewhat limited, but if you go past the shelter at the top there is a rock ledge where you can see somewhat better. This is a fun trail in a beautiful park.

Located in the beautiful Babcock State Park, the trailhead is near the Grist Mill. Rocky and steep in sections, but overall moderate in difficulty. Before making this trek, I had read about the great view at the top. When I arrived at the end, I was disappointed to see visibility was very limited due to trees in every direction. I couldn't see the river below or any of the surrounding mountains. It may not be like this from late fall to early spring, but I would not recommend it in the summer months.

This trail is alot of fun if you enjoy climbing around on some big boulders and rock faces. The trail is well maintained and at the time went the rhody's were in full bloom. It's a very scenic trail for all ages but it's pretty steep so watch the little ones! There's a new overlook at the top with a small shelter for a mountian view picnic.