Crack Whip Furnace Trail

DIFFICULTY 1 reviews

Crack Whip Furnace Trail is located near Wardensville, WV. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Apparently this trail's name has been changed to "Long Mountain Trail". The directions indicate you can drive to the trail head but about 0.1 mile after you turn onto the fire road, you will encounter a locked forest service gate. The trail head is a 1.3 mile walk up the fire road.

Once you reach the trail head (which is basically just a clearing with no signs), the road splits into 3 trails. Two of which are both blazed a dark yellow/orange and the third is unmarked and on the far left. There are no signs to indicate which way to go. I went up the middle trail and hiked for about a mile before I ran into a WVDA employee doing maintenance on the trail. He told me of the name change and told me the trail I wanted was the trail to the right where I reached the "trail head". He said if I keep going on this trail I would end up at Trout Run Road near the Buck Tail Trail parking area. If I went back down to the trail head and got on Long Mtn trail it would take me to Trout Pond. He said this trail is rarely used this time of year so it would be good for a quiet hike or trail run.

This would be a good trail for mountain biking or a ~12 mile out and back based on the mileage the state employee estimated. It was 80 degrees and the dogs were hot so we only did 5 miles.

The trail itself was a wide forest service road and there wasn't any significant elevation change where I hiked. It was an ok day and I'll probably return simply due to the solitude.