Coopers Rock State Forest Loop

Coopers Rock State Forest Loop is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Morgantown, WV that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Coopers Rock boasts offers activities for fishers, hikers, hunters, campers, rock climbers, and picnickers. Several trails wind through forest valleys, through enormous boulders, and over ridges. A 6-acre pond that is regularly stocked with trout provides fishing in season.

Started on the Overlook trail then took the Rattlesnake trail to the Rock City trail to Ridge trail where we took a trail down to the lake. Then came back Mont Chateau trail to Rhododendron trail. Great hike!!

Went on a Monday so didn't experience any of the crowds that others have. The rock city trail was really nice and seemed to be the only one on it at the time. Overlook is also beautiful. I'd absolutely recommend it - many different trails.

geocaching

Awesome!

Ugghhh. I didn't have a lot of time so I just headed to the Raven Rock lookout. What a lousy trail. It was more like a dirt road where the dirt has eroded away so much as to leave a bunch of loose rocks. And I really didn't find the view at the end all that great. It's a vista view that is fairly mundane. When I arrived there was a parasailor waiting for a gust of wind to launch him into the great beyond. It never came. Besides, the power lines were kinda in the way.

The trails leading to the "road" that takes you to the lookout were quite nice. I suspect the rest of the hiking grounds are much better then the Raven trail, but I didn't hike those so my review is based on Raven Rock.

Great! Easy hike. Trails were well marked and the view at the end of Raven Rock was incredible.

Amazing views and good trails!

Beautiful trail. I highly recommend! I suggest the overlook last, it is like the cherry on top.

Great trails and beautiful scenery here!!

This place is what instigated my love of the outdoors. I no longer live in this area, but my love of hiking, camping and rock climbing all started here, atop my fathers shoulders 20 years ago.

Cooper's Rock is a beautiful overlook, but there's a lot of people on most weekends. The overlook is astounding so bring a camera and enjoy! There are lots of pavilions to relax at, and there are lots of trails so choose from at the top to hike around.

I have hiked, mountain biked, and rock climbed here. First, the hiking is awesome with beautiful views at the tops of the various trails. Mountain biking is kinda crazy because of how rocky it is. Count on hiking up a lot and dig down deep (at least I had to) to trust your suspension to go to work. Bouldering (rock climbing with no ropes on low climbs) is great here. Lots of holds and plenty of other people with the same idea. Easy to spot good routes.

Beautiful area and easily accessible off I-68. Many trail and non-trail areas to explore. Highly suggest the overlook, rattlesnake trail (which is aptly named, keep you eyes and ears open) Rock City is a blast. Can easily spend a whole day exploring.
Pros: Easy to get to, fantastic rock forms and views
Cons: Very popular and tends to get over-crowded on pleasant weekends (as it should)

Started with a picnic lunch then hiked several short trails including overlook, under look, rattlesnake (my favorite and more challenging), ridge, rock city, mont chateau and rhododendron back to the visitor center. It was a hot day but in the shade of the trails it was perfect. One small white tail deer was flinched out by our dog.