Appalachian Trail: Weverton to Gathland State Park

Appalachian Trail: Weverton to Gathland State Park is a 18.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ripped through this shit bout 5 years ago. Lovely and burly terrain and steep hills to climb to boot. Stepped on a Copperhead along the way out..

Nice uphill climb from Harpers Ferry to Weverton Cliffs with a gorgeous view. Nice gradual hike for last 5 miles to State Park

Full disclosure - I did not hike the entire 18.8 miles. I began in Weverton and walked south for about 90 minutes and then headed back. (Still, 10,000 steps!) The trail is essentially a wide bike path covered in gravel. It's not a difficult walk. So, to make it difficult, I went off the path. After a good half-hour on the trail proper, I took a hard right and headed toward the river and then followed a less-maintained path along the river in the direction of Harper's Ferry. This, too, was not too difficult, and there's much more to see (and good pictures of the river, too). After an hour or so, I walked back to the gravel trail and then looked for a way to get to the railroad tracks, which run parallel to the trail. Talk about Americana! There was a freight train sitting there, so I walked alongside it. Oh, but then a train came in the opposite direction, and I thought of Stand By Me, so I moved off to the side. After the train passed and I came to the end of the idle train, it was just me, the sky, and the woods. And the tracks. Anyway, I did see birds and squirrels and a few monarch butterflies, and lemme tell you, it was cool. So the downside to this hike is that the trail is kind of dull - although it is flat and eminently walkable.

very beautiful and the view at Weverton Cliffs was amazing...the perfect hike if you have 5-6 hours to spare.

Done as part of the MD AT hike. Nice area, far less rocky than the northern sections.

Good view. Good parking.

I could not go all the way on this trail. Partly because I had done a couple shorter trails in the morning and maybe it was too tough for me.