Allegheny Trail

DIFFICULTY 4 reviews

Allegheny Trail is located near Riverton, WV. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Completed 5 of 13 miles (fm FR112 to Tom Lick Trail). MUDDY! Super slick. Would recommend avoiding for a while.

September 19,2015, Allegheny Trail (701) Trail Head near Bowden, WV. I completed a short solo hike, east of Rt. 33. I hiked an hour in and made a turn around back out the same track. Great views of the creek below the trail.

I had previously hiked about 6 miles of this trail in Pocahontas County, from NRAO at Green Bank WV south to Cass. This time I went the other way, north to Durbin. Because we were staying with friends in Green Bank, I started from the National Radio Astronomy Observatory; but be aware - from the visitor center at NRAO, it's a 3 mile walk through the observatory just to reach the trail. (And because the observatory has real, operating radio telescopes, no transmitting devices are allowed. They request no personal electronics of any kind, including cell phones. But a purely receiving GPS is probably OK.) After walking up Slavin Hollow Road and reaching the trail on Little Mountain at the boundary of the observatory, I turned north and followed the yellow blazes toward Durbin. It appeared that recent trail maintenance had been done; there was evidence of a pack animal, and the blazes were new and bright. All in all, this was a beautiful trail - well blazed, little underbrush, with only a few deadfalls to walk around. Not easy though. The path crosses about every ridge between Green Bank and Durbin, so a lot of up and down. Strenuous climbs (for me) in many places. At one stream - Laurel Run I think - the trail crossed at a point too deep for my boots, so I had to detour upstream about 100 feet to find some stepping stones. At about mile 10 or 12, the trail takes a sharp turn to the left off the forest service road. I missed it and had to back track about a quarter-mile after realizing I wasn't seeing blazes any more. (If you're starting at Durbin, that won't be a problem since you'll come out of the woods onto the service road.) My GPS recorded a little over 14 miles (including the initial 3 miles). It was probably at least 15, allowing for all the altitude changes. I grossly underestimated the distance and overestimated my ability. What I thought would be about a 6 hour hike actually took 9 hours, and I made it out only about an hour before dark. However, it was a beautiful, serene trip. Well worth the effort. My thanks to the West Virginia Scenic Trails Association for their good work.

I've hiked thirteen miles of this trail in Greenbrier County, WV. Some of it is beautiful, but it is marred by, by far, the most litter I've ever seen on a hiking trail. I picked up a number of bottles, cans, bags and wrappers over the course of my day's hike, cramming my pockets full until I no longer had any room. It's a shame that so many people have abused such a wonderful natural resource. Crossing the mountain top was mostly a straight walk, their were switchbacks on my way up and my way down again. There aren't very many areas where the trail allows views of the valley below, but what I did see was beautiful. It's a shame that my main memory of this hike is all the litter.