Zig Zag Trail

Zig Zag Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, WA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Zig Zag Trail is one of many unofficial trails starting on the Iron Horse Trail built and maintained by volunteers. The trailhead is at the east end of Hall Creek Bridge. The trail climbs up the east side of the Hall Creek Valley to FR 9021, also known as the Hall Creek Road. The trailhead is at the east end of Hall Creek Bridge. After 1-mile hike with 1300 feet elevation gain from Iron Horse Trail you pop out to an intersection of forest roads. From there, you can follow a forest road up to an old abandoned truck at elevation 4080 feet.

11/12/2015 (Monday) -- This is a sunny morning, though it became cloudy in the afternoon. I left the Park's parking lot at 9:00. The trailhead is just across the road as the map above shows. A poster about bear's activity in the area was stuck on the trailhead. The trail leads to the the old rail trestle across Hall Creek is marked on the map of AllTrails and OCM, but not from there upward. It is marked on the Google maps however. The trail is steep and rough, but passable. When the trail comes to an obvious fork, the left one has a small wooden board nailed on a tree trunk, reading "Zig Zag Trail", and the right (straight ahead) one is "Hall Creek Trail". I took "Zig Zag", but did not move ahead too much, may be just 0.2 miles, and then turned back, because I wanted to take a look at other trailheads of the Olallie State Park. The Zig Zap Trail is very lightly used, not well-maintained, steep and rough, and not even marked on maps. Then, I walked westward, passing the two awesome trestles, where the views were marvelous. At Deception Crag, I saw a little boy not more than 4 years old climbed with cliff with adults' guide and help. I went down from the trail there. It was a steep and rocky trail along the Change Creek, should be interesting, though short. Very few hikers, bikers, climbers on this lovely Columbus Day morning in the park, where one may also enjoy the water of South Fork Snoquamie River.

Sunday 2-8-2015: My wife and I hiked Zig Zag Trail. The weather was mostly cloudy. We parked our car at Ollie State Park and walked along Hall Creek up to Hall Creek Bridge. The trail is steep. We popped out to an intersection of forest roads and followed one of forest roads up to an old abandoned truck. We had lunch by the truck and returned.