Zig Zag Trail

Zig Zag Trail is a 1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Stevenson, WA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

old growth

The road from Sunset Falls camp ground is still pretty rough, but no worse than last summer. Trail to the lake is in good condition, very little overgrowth (I cleared out a lot of the minor obstructions on my way back up as an excuse to take a break).

The lake was again beautiful! we arrived about 5pm and nobody was there the 3 hours we fished and hiked around the lake. Again, fish jumping out of the water constantly, but no bites. really need to learn to fly fish.

The trail is steep, but a gem just outside of Battle Ground. drive is close to 1 hr from Sunset Falls due to the pot holes in the road, but worth the journey.

Steep! This is a must hike in my opinion.

First however, you have to get here. Coming from Battle Ground after you pass Sunset Falls Campground NF42 is extremely littered with potholes. I broke the exhaust pipe on my Excursion on my last trip up. After you have driven about 7 miles past Sunset Falls you will start to climb up to 4000' as you make a half circle around the valley below. once you make it to the top you will soon pass a turn off to the left to a good sized parking spot. This is NOT the trail. Keep going another 1/2 mile to the small turn out on your LEFT. If you see a road on your right, you have gone too far. If you see 2 more, you have really gone too far, turn back. The trailhead is unmarked. The window to hike up here is pretty small as well. Because it is so high up the snow does not melt for a long time. This year there was still snow at 3300' on June 10th (trailhead is at 4008'). I went up in August and made it.

The trail is really steep. Pretty cool going down, but taxing for sure heading back up. I had to stop a few dozen times along the 1/2 mile trail. The lake appeared to be full of fish, I was fishing with simple worm and a hook and had ZERO luck over a few hrs. I think that fly fishing may have been successful as we saw fish jumping to eat at the surface the whole time.

Overall a really cool place that i plan on making a regular destination.