Yakima Rim

Yakima Rim is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Selah, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

I've done this hike a few times and as a local (recently returned) to the valley the accessibility is definitely a high point. The trail is pretty easy in elevation although I would suggest you wear good shoes, the view is great, and there is hardly anyone on the trail. Today I saw one person -- granted, it was 60* and raining. I've hiked during summer months and it's usually pretty empty. Most locals don't know it exists and don't use it, in fact I've told many about it and rarely does anyone even know where buffalo road is. The major drawback for me was the tumbleweeds that completely covered much of the first leg of the trail. A little annoying since it's a discover pass required trail id expect it to be a little maintained.

Dogs are allowed and mine loved it. Drive up the dirt road through the gate and don't waste your time walking it; the walk is long and kind of boring. The trail itself is pleasant and there's all sorts of wildlife to observe.

Great hike. Beginning was kinda a bummer because of all the tumbleweeds In the trail. We tried clearing them all. Well worth the hike!

Nice hike. Good cardio, fresh air, great view of Selah and surrounding mountains. Did it in early March, besides a light rain, it was doable and fun.

The trail was fun to drive to... Take Buffalo Rd to access the trail head road, you'll arrive at the gate, take that dirt road (1mile approx) to access your actual trail head! Once there you'll see the trail. Your climb awaits you! Lol once you have reached the top you'll find many other trails to adventure on!

off road driving

It was a nice walk in this arid environment...the rim has a lovely lookout of the river and dam. A nice easy elevation gain with nothing too intense. We had a fun time rallying the Jeep on the off-road trail on the way to the trail-head...Not a 'serious' off-road trail (you could probably do it in a Honda CRV or subaru), but fun nonetheless! Lots of horned-toads and little dessert critters running around- we encountered a Western Rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis), so keep an eye out...

My wife and I hiked Yakima Skyline Rim. The dirt road up to the trail head was the worst road we have driven, but our trusty Forester got us without a problem. We followed the route featured in Best Desert Hikes: Washington, by Dan Nelson and Alan Bauer and made a loop of 4 miles with 1000 feet elevation gain. Wildflowers are in bloom. Mt Adams and Mt Rainier were visible most of the time. I guess now is the best time to visit this part of Eastern Washington. It is not too cold, not too hot, wildflowers are in bloom. We did not encounter a rattlesnake. http://alltrails.com/tracks/yakima-skyline-rim-4-13-2014

I accessed this trail from the dead end Buffalo Rd (arrived at via Wenas Rd). Through the gate there is a dirt road for some easy off-roading. There are a few hiking trails off of the dirt road that lead to the rim. The scrub brush and rock formations were beautiful on the way to the rim. The view at the rim was great. Foolishly strayed from the trail and quickly came across a rattlesnake.