Windy Pass via the PCT

Windy Pass via the PCT is a 11.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Winthrop, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from July until October.

11.2 miles 1989 feet Out & Back

thru hiked the PCT 2016

This was day 1 of my several day jaunt on the PCT. The hike is amazing. The drive is a monster! My blog (link below) has lots of pictures and a story. One thing I didn't mention is the weird hut thing you come across on the trail. We didn't make it all the way to it to find out what it was, but I later found out it's a yurt used by a company that does heli-skiing. I think they should sell snacks to thru hikers. :)

Fairly easy hike along the PCT to just below Tamarack Peak. Enjoyed an amazing sunset. Great views of the North Cascades almost the entire section of the trail. Worth a quick side trip up to the Slate Peak lookout area (walk or drive up the road). I accessed the PCT at the first turn in the road below the Buckskin Ridge trailhead. The Harts Pass road has one short narrow section that is a little intimidating, but once you get past that it is in great shape. If heading south on the PCT (http://alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/grasshopper-pass-trail) you can take the left turn onto NF-500 and take that until the road deadends.

miles of easy ambling on the Cascade Crest, gentle ups and downs with constantly changing scenery...no, it doesn't get any better than this!!!