West Fork Foss River to Foss Lakes

West Fork Foss River to Foss Lakes is a 17.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Skykomish, WA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Directions from Skykomish: Drive 0.5 mile east on U.S. Hwy. 2. Turn right onto Foss River Road #68. Continue on #68 for approximately 6 miles. Turn left onto Road #6835 and continue to the trailhead.

The hike is beautiful, and can be done in one day - all the way to Big Heart and back took about 8 hours. Although Copper lake looked more interesting for camping. After the fall rains the waterfalls were quite amazing!

Bring bug netting! The mosquitos were insane. I didn't bring a tent or bivy and was kicking myself. I planned to do 2 nights at Big Heart, and cut it short after the first night. Otherwise, the hike and scenery were superb!

Mosquitos were terrible. They seemed to be the worst at Big Heart Lake. Otherwise, it was great. Beautiful views everywhere you look once you get past the first couple lakes.

Great hike, definitely not for the weak of heart or legs but the hike up to Copper Lake is beautiful and there are a lot of cool camping spots! Worth the relentless and steep hike! Trout lake would make an awesome beginners hike

this hike starts out easy to trout lake, but immediately after, the trail steepens and becomes much more rugged. although a tough climb, the lakes waterfalls, and views give you many rewards along the way. Hiked that day to copper lake in a little less than 4 hours and camped there. but the next day, meandered to little heart lake where we saw a few campsites that looked really nice and secluded.
highs of the hike: lots of rewards, variety of scenery
lows of the hike: many people, rugged terrain

fly fishing

The trail to Trout Lake was easy going and suitable for any age. The shallow lake itself was not very interesting but peaceful and from what I could tell a popular fishing destination with a couple of camping sites. Beyond Trout Lake the trail became rocky and gained elevation becoming more difficult. After about another mile is the first glance of massive Malachite Falls which are about twice as big as nearby Wallace Falls and very impressive. Shortly after the bridge crossing below Copper Lake I ran into deep snow. I was scrambling around a bit before finally finding beautiful Copper Lake. I turned around from there in order to avoid getting lost. I plan on coming back in the future and making it to all of the lakes. The pot holes on the dirt road to the TH are big and they are deep, but if you take your time you shouldn't have any trouble.

This trail is awesome. Not easy, but not hard until after Trout Lake, that's when you really start to climb. The first lake (Trout Lake) is only a mile and a half in, and so worth to walk. I went the last 2 weekend of May. There were still fallen trees on the trail the first time out, but there were cleared the following weekend. The first time up I only went to Trout lake and this lake is so beautiful. Crystal clear and with the snow covered mountains behind it looked amazing. On the second trip out I had planned to go all the way to Big Heart Lake. Less then a mile from Copper Lake the trail was lost under the snow pack, and once I realized that there was flowing water under most of the snow I was walking on, I turned around and camped close to Trout Lake. The views were breath taking at one point I could see 5 water falls at once. Loved this trail.

Took our 3 year old son on his first hike, he walked to Trout Lake and we hand to carry him back. Large Hemlocks and the rapids near the bridge make this one worth it.

This trail has a lot going on if you are paying attention. Got to the 4+ mile off-roading trailhead a little after 8am today with 1 car in the parking lot. SUV/Truck with 4-wheel drive is a MUST to reach this trailhead-dirt road with LOTS of washboards and pot holes.
Trail is not heavily used at all-lots of overgrown brush, loose rocks, massive fallen trees to climb over, and stream crossings. It was a great day to hike and everything was going well until we hit the 4.5 mile mark. The snow pack came on at his point and did not give up, we turned around at 4.9 miles defeated, promising to return for a late summer trek to Angeline and Big Heart Lake.

We only made it to the first lake, trout lake, because we had a 10-year-old with us. Not the best trail for kids. An easy trail to follow, weaving around the river. Once at the lake there are signs for restrooms, but when you follow the signs.... No restrooms. Bring TP.

beautiful lakes, went as far as the fifth one (Big Heart Lake). Trail is well defined but very rugged/