Umtanum Canyon Trail

Umtanum Canyon Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ellensburg, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Definitely watch out for snakes in the summer time. Besides those buggers, it has enjoyable trails for both short and long distance walks/hikes.

So you should know, I got surprised with a 5 dollar park fee. I am going back to walk all of it.

My sister and I completed this hike today. We found it to be pretty challenging. It was a steady climb right from the start. The last mile to the top was very steep with loose gravel making it very difficult to keep your footing. Some beautiful views at the top, with a very cold wind for a 65 degree sunny day. Wear layers!

Trail was easy to find and all around a great hike! The trail was closed a little past the 3 mile marker to preserve wildlife, but that really wasn't an issue for me. There was an abundance of wild flowers and foliage! LOTS of bugs further up in the trail, as there's creeks that periodically cross paths with the trail. My dog enjoyed the refreshment! Noteworthy mentions would be; ticks. I found 3 ticks on my dog (so far) and there is a $5 fee to park in the lot. Discovery Passes wont do since its on BLM land. Beautiful spring hike though!!

Awsome !!! Lots of rattlesnakes!!!

Trail is dusty and steep in areas. We are novice hikers, and definitely thought getting to the peek was difficult (we also had our 2.5yr old in a carrier), but it was worth it! Lots of flowers in bloom, and we saw a pygmy short horn lizard at the top.

Beautiful hike, not that long but worth it.

it was perfect for my two 8 year olds. I can't wait to go back this weekend. the weather wasn't bad for November either

First visit yesterday. Stayed in the valley as we r new to the area. It was an easy hike (with dog) and, although the colors/landscape were beautiful, I want to go back in the spring.

Lots of wildflowers on the ridge made for a great early Spring hike. Balsamroot and lupine are in full bloom up on the ridge of the canyon. I took the trail to the right just after the railroad tracks to the top of the ridge and it gets steep with loose dirt. You will slide all over the place without hiking poles, but its not very far to reach the top.I hiked for miles along the ridge and then hiked down and did easy trail along the creek. Lots of different trails in the area to explore. .