Umtanum Canyon Trail

Umtanum Canyon Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ellensburg, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

So you should know, I got surprised with a 5 dollar park fee. I am going back to walk all of it.

My sister and I completed this hike today. We found it to be pretty challenging. It was a steady climb right from the start. The last mile to the top was very steep with loose gravel making it very difficult to keep your footing. Some beautiful views at the top, with a very cold wind for a 65 degree sunny day. Wear layers!

Trail was easy to find and all around a great hike! The trail was closed a little past the 3 mile marker to preserve wildlife, but that really wasn't an issue for me. There was an abundance of wild flowers and foliage! LOTS of bugs further up in the trail, as there's creeks that periodically cross paths with the trail. My dog enjoyed the refreshment! Noteworthy mentions would be; ticks. I found 3 ticks on my dog (so far) and there is a $5 fee to park in the lot. Discovery Passes wont do since its on BLM land. Beautiful spring hike though!!

Awsome !!! Lots of rattlesnakes!!!

Trail is dusty and steep in areas. We are novice hikers, and definitely thought getting to the peek was difficult (we also had our 2.5yr old in a carrier), but it was worth it! Lots of flowers in bloom, and we saw a pygmy short horn lizard at the top.

Beautiful hike, not that long but worth it.

it was perfect for my two 8 year olds. I can't wait to go back this weekend. the weather wasn't bad for November either

First visit yesterday. Stayed in the valley as we r new to the area. It was an easy hike (with dog) and, although the colors/landscape were beautiful, I want to go back in the spring.

Lots of wildflowers on the ridge made for a great early Spring hike. Balsamroot and lupine are in full bloom up on the ridge of the canyon. I took the trail to the right just after the railroad tracks to the top of the ridge and it gets steep with loose dirt. You will slide all over the place without hiking poles, but its not very far to reach the top.I hiked for miles along the ridge and then hiked down and did easy trail along the creek. Lots of different trails in the area to explore. .

Easy trail

Great winter hike! My brother and I hiked this over Thanksgiving weekend and the weather was perfect for a difficult hike like this. Took a little over two hours to get to the top and it does seems to get steeper the closer you get to the top. Took the dog along as well and he even seemed to struggle on the climb. Scenery on the way up isn't the best considering it is nothing but sage brush but the view from the top is pretty amazing.

This is definitely one of the most difficult hikes I have ever done. The last half mile of this hike is pretty much climbing instead of hiking. I had to get on my hands and knees to grab on anything I could to climb up. Coming down is even harder than going up. Not for beginners and make sure you bring your trekking poles on this trail! The scenery is pretty amazing though. Can be windy and cold once you reach the top even on a day the trail head is 80F.

this is a decent hike, but it is hot, dry, and much steeper than it seems! very different in terms of scenery, but it has its own beauty for sure!