Tunnel Creek Trail

Tunnel Creek Trail is a 15.2 mile out and back trail located near Quilcene, WA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and backpacking and is accessible from June until October.

From Quilcene, 1 mile south on U.S. 101 to Penny Creek Road. Turn right and drive 1.5 miles to Big Quilcene Road. Stay left at the Y and drive 3 miles to Forest Service Road 2740. Stay to the left at this Y and drive 6.5 miles to the trailhead.

This trail is currently washed out, I was there on Saturday the 29th and watched a mud slide happen right in front of me about 1/4 mile from the trail head registration. it is unsafe to cross it it is actively moving at this time and water flowing down it. sadly not safe, I was so excited to go hike this but made the best of my day and found another hike.

We found this hike on accident actually. We were searching for another trail, and due to poor directions we ended up at this trail head. We decided to just wing it and it turned out to be a great hike! We were hiking at a fairly quick pace and we were definitely sweating and out of breath. There was an area of hornets that wouldn't leave us alone which became really frustrating, but overall, it was a pretty good hike. Some beautiful views at the top of the peaks, but other than that, nothing too different that sets it apart from other PNW trails.

Great trail! Nice August hike along the river, and once you cross over, it gets moderately steep at times, nice switchbacks, quiet lake on the way up. took about 3 hours to get up to the ridge, and about 2 hours to get back down. got buzzed by some hornets a bit, but the trail is mostly shaded and is kept cool by the river.

Gorgeous. Good progressive incline followed by some solid switchbacks for a quick ascent.

Lovely hike on a well maintained trail that initially follows along the creek at a fairly easy level. As others have indicated, once you get past the shelter (approx. 2 mi) and then cross the little bridge, be prepared for some extra work and a little bit of a scramble on a lesser used trail to reach the top, but you will find the challenge well worth the effort once you catch your breath and soak in the view. Blueberries galore to feast on and a view of Harrison Lake along the way!

A very nice hike today, the weather was gorgeous and despite recent rains, the trail was in excellent shape. The trail guides list this hike as difficult but it really isn't to bad until you start the climb up once you cross the footbridge at the 2.6 mile point. The trail crews have done a good job of clearing out logs and providing drainage. I was hoping to find chanterelle mushrooms but I dint see any but there was a tremendous variety of opther beautiful mushrooms to photograph. The fall colors haven't started yet.There was snow on the ground at Harrison Lake
The trail becomes steep and at times a little slippery after crossing the footbridge so a good pair of shoes and hiking poles are very useful. Since I was taking my time and enjoying the scenery, It took me 4 hours to get up to 50/50 pass (elevation 5050 feet). The hike back down to the trail head took 2 hours.
Elevation gain 2400 feet, earlier in the season there were problems with hornets but there were none at this time, nor mosquitoes. A nice hike to take a dog. The road to the trailhead was in better shape than on my previous trips.

I enjoyed this hike today, although it is not a "moderate" hike. I checked a hiking book I have and it is rated "strenuous". Went to the top and back in 4 hours. Gorgeous views!

First time doing this hike! Absolute stunning view!

I visit this trail 12 or more times a year, it's one of my favorites. The creek is beautiful and the view at the top is amazing! The trail is a moderate climb until you get to the shelter about 3 miles. Just past the shelter the trail crosses Tunnel Creek and the difficulty rating turns to "demanding" all the way to the top at 5050 pass.