Tubal Cain Trail

Tubal Cain Trail is a 19.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sequim, WA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible from June until October.

From Sequim, 3 miles east on U.S. 101 to Palo Alto Road. Turn right and drive 7.5 miles to Forest Service Road 28. Stay left and drive 1 mile to Forest Service Road 2860. Turn right and drive a long 14.5 miles to the trailhead.

Such a great weekend trip went to the mine and plane crash stayed two nights loving this place wet but made it work

I am new to the area but love adventuring and checking out new hikes. Especially some that has interesting history. You have to pay attention to get to the Tubal Cain Mine Trail and it does take a while to get there, driving wise. But you can't beat the views! I only hiked to the trail that leads to the B17 crash site which can get pretty steep in some places, however, push through until you get there! Being a history buff myself, I was very motivated to reach the site and look around. As soon as I got home I looked up some information about it. I didn't have enough time to continue on the main trail to the mines, but I am definitely going back! Another tip: bring a backpack and pack extra layers of clothing like another jacket and gloves because it did get pretty chilly this late in the year. Oh and food!

It was a great walk in the shade most of the time very cool and comfortable. Seeing the wreckage of the B-17 was was exciting and thought provoking to think that some of those on board lost thier lives in the crash. We did see one mineshaft on the way up to the wreckage which was nice because we didn't have time to go up to the mines themselves.

Great little day hike. Didn't get to go to the plane crash though. Definitely would go again!

Great hike. Narrow trail in spots made it hard to stop or let others pass with dogs

Great trail. Lots of rhododendrons. Side hike up to airplane crash site at mine hole.

great day hike. if it wasn't for the huge rock formation in middle of the forest, I may have walked past the mine.

First time hiking this area. 8 of us (teenagers and 3 adults) hiked up to the mine camp, there was an old mining basket and some other things shown evidence of that. Snow in the area and couldn't find the caves or the plane wreckage. Still a Great hike. Can't wait to do it again when the Rhodies are in bloom.

Fairly easy hike. Small incline that isn't exhausting. Quite a few water features to have to cross so be careful as conditions can be slippery and there is a steep fall down one side of the trail that isn't railed for safety. Couldn't find the mine unfortunately, lost the trail in the snow up there still after 3.5 miles. Found evidence of a mine though. Will have to go back up in a couple months. Brought my two dogs, though, and they enjoyed the trip as always:)

Really pretty hike, wasn't as hard as I was expecting. Incline most of the way there but not terrible, I feel like going down was harder. Nice people along the hike, we took our dog and carried our13 mo old. There was a fun bridge crossing a creek in the beginning and a few smallish water falls along the way. Great views going up the trail, it was a little scary on the side. Fun day hiking.

This is a really nice trail. I ran this on Saturday, hoping that it wouldn't rain. Much to my surprise, it snowed. It snowed the entire time! I made my way to the mine, but I didn't go all the way to the mine's entrance. The area sounds a little confusing as is and when everything was covered in snow, it was almost impossible to find the trails in this area.
On the way back I went on the short trail up to see the wreckage of the B-17 bomber plane. Definitely worth the side trip. On the way back to the trail head, the B-17 trail is about 0.5 mile before the Tubal Caine mine on the right hand side.
These two trails combined were just over 8 miles. I plan on going back when all the rhodies are blooming.

This was an amazing hike! Fun for the whole family. Once you get to the mine entrance make sure you change into either boots or aqua shoes and maybe a raincoat as you will get wet! A few good flashlights is a must. We went in with 3 good flashlights and came out using our cell phones. Lol. Flashlights didn't care for water not sure there. Lol. When you get to the very end of mine you will hear a loud pounding of water, it like a mini waterfall you walk under. There will be a few sheets of metal on the ground, pick one up and hold over your head as you walk under. Once under people have left there business cards or wrote on walls to show they made it. It is a lot of fun, but is not recommended if you CLOSTERPHOBIC ! It is amazing and views from the top are unbelievable. Have fun and stay safe. :)

This is a great day hike. We hiked to a B-17 crash site & the old Tubal Cain mine. Fun for older kids. Great views.

The incredible diversity of wildflowers along the hillside beyond Tubal Cain Mine was a major reason for the creation of Buckhorn Wilderness. It is a beautiful and easy going hike under Buckhorn and Iron Mountains. It eventually reaches a panoramic view of the Dungeness River Valley.

Continuing along the ridge you will reach Mt. Buckhorn and look down upon Marmot Pass. This is one of my favorite hikes in the Olympics.

Snow is still steep past the mine.

Perfect hike with my 9 year old son, as we stopped just beyond the mine next to a creek. Talking about the history and seeing the old mine parts was a good experience for us. We also took a side trip to see the plane crash, neat experience.

This is an awesome over nighter, could be a day hike if you're experienced. It is roughly 10 miles to the summit of Buckhorn Mountain, elevation 6,992 I believe. The view from buckhorn, is worth the high, but slow elevation gain. You are able to see Victoria and Vancouver, port Angeles, sequim, the hood canal bridge, Mt Rainier, and on a clear day you can even see Seattle. I'd recommend setting up camp in buckhorn Meadows (roughly 1.5 miles from summit) which gives you an awesome sunset over the Dungeness valley and the Olympic mountain range. After snow melts you can get water right off the trail as far as 6 miles up so no need to weigh your pack down. No water at Meadows expect snow for melting. By far the best hike on the Olympic Peninsula.

If there is one word to describe the Tubal Cain Trail it must be - Wildflowers. The diversity of wildflowers on the hillside after you leave the old mine is nothing short of awe inspiring.