Tomyhoi Lake Trail

Tomyhoi Lake Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Maple Falls, WA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until November.

Directions from Glacier: Follow the Mt. Baker Hwy. 542 east for 12 miles to Forest Road #3065 (Twin Lakes Road). The road is located on the left hand side of the highway just beyond the Department of Transportation's Shuksan maintenance facility. Turn left on Twin Lakes Road and continue approximately 4.5 miles to the Tomyhoi Lake/Yellow Aster Butte Trailhead. Parking is plentiful at the trailhead and a toilet is also available.

Fun tough hike. Recommend an overnighter. Been on this one three times. First time had too much snow on downward side from gold run pass. Second time was an in and out the same day and that was a butt kicker. The third time we did an overnighter and wished we had planned for a two nighter as we were doing a fish survey. Lots of brook trout caught on a fly. All ranged in size from 4-9"

I hiked this trail once and I don't think I will be doing it again. We went all the way to the lake on a day hike and I'm not going to lie it was very intense. The elevation gain is crazy! It was beautiful though and I'm glad I did it!

This was my first time to Tomyhoi Lake. Reviews elsewhere say it is not for the inexperienced. I'm far from being any expert, but this is definitely not a beginner level hike. You gain about 1800 feet in about 2 miles, and lose it all on the way to the lake, which is also around 2 miles. We fished for about and hour and a half. The fishing wasn't great, but it beats any day at work and the views were great. It would be a great overnighter for some more fishing. We hiked it on a Thursday and only ran into 4 people round trip from the head up to gold run pass. From the pass to the lake we saw nobody all day. There was a bit of avalanche debris near the lake, but with a little marking it was fine. Overall a good hike. Can't wait (but not too soon) to do it again.