The Wonderland Trail

The Wonderland Trail is a 96.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Longmire, WA that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until September.

My home away from home

Amazing, challenging, and a lifetime experience! Buy a good guidebook and get on the trail!

Did 40 miles last August 2015. Had a blast!! Stayed at White river campground. Amazing trail ! Met a lot of people that do this trail every summer.

The views are fantastic!!!

93 miles up, down and everywhere on Mount Rainier. Words cannot describe it correctly. I will tell you this though,bring duct tape and whatever you do, bring small Tabasco packets for the freeze dried food in a bag....

did this with my bro last summer 2013 it was awesome. 7-8 days wasn't long enough super challenging and super rewarding. we went counter clockwise

I enjoyed this trip. Most folk get a reservation by lottery in the spring and walk this one clockwise. I woke up one fine August day in 2012 and said, "self, you're going to hike the Wonderland!" I got a permit at Longmire, dropped off my cache, went to Sunrise and began hiking counterclockwise. I met a couple hundred people going clockwise Some people do this a section at a time. Others do the whole thing in an incredible range, of four to twelve days.

Oh, yeah, BLUEBERRIES!!

Did 11 miles and what an amazing trail. Well worth the drive from Seattle. Get there early if you want parking!

Did 12 miles of this trail today, we started at Mowich Lake and made our way down the Ipsut pass pass. Very pretty hike lots of picture spots. starting from Mowich lake you go down first so make sure you dont go so far as to where you dont have the energy to make the climb back out to where you came from.

Did the trail back in September 2009. To this day, it's still my favorite backpacking trip. :) We had an indian summer that year, so it wasn't too hot, nor too cold. The mosquitoes were gone and the autumn colors were emerging. Overall, it was the most memorable eight days I had that summer. :)

My husband and I did our first section of Wonderland Trail this past Sunday. The unusual warm wheather was great for the 7.4 mile day trip between Longmire to Paradise Camp site (there and back). We started a little late but was still able to make it way before sundown. The sites, the streams, waterfalls, river crossing were amazing! Totally different from the trails on the eastcoast. What a wonderful way to spend a Sunday.

Amazing views and wildlife. Lots of elevation gain and loss, so it's a tough one, but so worth it if you get good weather! In areas of dayhikers the trail can get kind of busy, but get into the backwoods and there are less people. I recommend early September for the hike because there are less crowds and bugs. Weather can be sketchy ANY time of the summer or fall. Permits are required but can be reserved if you get your application in early (check in March) - every campsite area needs to be specifically reserved so know where you want to spend your nights and when!

Wonderland Trail the first 4 days

Day 1: Check in and get the permit for the trip. One last breakfast at the NP Inn and hit the trail. We were early so we had an earlier than expected start but we were only going 3.5 miles so it was a slow and easy day to the first camp at Paradise River. We stopped and took a little walk up a side trail to Narada Falls, which is right along the highway but it was early yet so just a few tourists. Lazed around at camp getting mobbed by black flies working in shifts. 10 minutes of biting and then a break before they came back. All camps have a toilet to keep all waste in one place and this one was just a seat on a platform in the woods. No doors, no walls, no nothing except lots of trees.

Day 2: About 9.6 miles to Nickel Creek camp. We took a 1/4 detour along the road (WT goes around on the north about a mile) past Reflection Lakes on the hope that the clouds would lift and we'd get a nice image of Rainier but no luck. On down the trail. And down. And down. And down. Along some really rough trail for the first part, and then new construction that really sucked. The trail from Reflection Lakes to Box Canyon parallels the road and probably shouldn't be part of the WT. Once past Boxwood Canyon and the tourons, the trail cuts away from the road for the first time and heads off into the wilderness. The camp was nice and we were right on the creek with no bug problem.

Day 3: This was supposed to be to Panhandle Gap cross-country zone but we extended another 1.5 miles to Summerland Camp and poached a site so it turned into a 10.6 mile day. This was pretty much an all uphill with about 1500 in the first 2 miles and then what showed on the map (and I really learned to hate that map because it was not very accurate) as a gradual uphill for the rest of the way. Wrong. A gradual uphill for a ways and then a lot of steep steps to a small summit. Then kind of easy, then a lot more steps up. We finally reach the top of all this and find that we now have to go waaaaaayyyyyy down to Indian Bar but we were standing at almost the elevation were supposed to get to across the valley. So we go down and stop at Indian Bar camp for lunch, with an incredible view up the valley of several glaciers and lots of waterfalls. We load up with water because everyone is telling us theres no water at the top of the pass and take off. The first half-mile is a nice walk across the valley floor and then it starts up. mile of steep stairs and switchbacks and then "The 1000 Steps". This is 1 mile of straight up a ridgeline with no switchbacks, gaining about 1500. Imagine a mile of stadium stairs and youll get the idea. Once at the top of this, another mile of traverse to the gap. Great views again but we decided not to stay there because it was so exposed and so we took off thru a rock slide and did the extra 1.5 miles into Summerland. This place had some of the best views of Rainier both morning and night. A big marmot sat above our camp and kept watch over all the chipmunks running thru camp.

Day 4: I left about daybreak to make sure we didnt miss our meet-up with Kris and Drew while the others slacked off and stayed in bags at least another 20 minutes. A nice easy 4-mile trail to the road and another 2.5 along the road into White River campground. It took me a little less than 3 hours to get there so I had lots of time. The sun was coming up over the trees so I stripped to shorts, took off my boots and read and munched for a little while before dozing off. A few campers stopped to talk (carefully standing downwind) and were amazed that I was walking around the mountain. Kris showed up about an hour or so after I did so I tossed my pack in and we went back down the road to save the others some walking and they got there after another 30-40 minutes. Kris had fresh fruits and veggies for us, along with some bagel sandwiches and miscellaneous other things. Poppycock immediately proposed to her, forgetting he was already married. Drew showed up about an hour later and we headed to Sunrise for re-supply and snackbar food. We took it easy that afternoon getting into camp a little over a mile in, set up camp and then came back out for one last snackbar meal before the last 5 days.

To read the rest of the review, http://www.eyehike.com/WT/Wonderland_Trail_2001.htm