Talus Loop Trail

Talus Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Bend, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Short loop trail off the popular Mt. Si trail. Not really a destination in it's own right, this can be an add on to your Mt. Si hike.

As inexperienced hikers (me at age 69 and not so good shape; my wife 67 and in good shape) we decided to take a hike on a beautiful sunny October day. Googled some local, close hikes and we decided on Mt. Si trail, as seemed closest and quick notes said it was most popular in area. Neither of us were prepared for THIS hike. We got a late start and luckily something mentioned needing a Discover Pass which took me a while to get on-line and print (one day pass is $11.50 incl. tax and will not be mailed so need to be able to print it out). Getting to and parking was simple, as large lot was about 1/2 full. We had water and trail running style running shoes, wearing shorts and layered shirt/wind breaker clothing. Needless to say, we had not done our research on this hike/climb and 1.5 hours into it came to a clearing roughly 2 miles up and took a rest stop. Sign post said 2.3 miles to top and another sign saying Talus Loop Trail (1.7 miles). We had seen the Talus Loop trail sign back on the Mt Si trail, but did not think any thing about it at the time. Since it took us 1.5 hours to reach this point and thinking at least that until reaching the top, and the time being 3:30 PM, decided either to turn around (kind of a defeatist attitude which neither of us were comfortable with) or take the Talus Loop Trail 'back down' - new scenery, likely decline -vs.- "killer" incline of Mt Si Trail at that point. My point of these comments is to alert others of this very nice and totally different topography/scenic trail. Also came across one viewpoint while crossing a rock slide area that offered a breathtaking view East of the I-90 corridor, Truck Town and forest covered vistas as far as you could see. Path was not nearly as rocky as Mt Si nor as steep and I am guessing with Mt. Si to the point where we took Talus, the round trip to be approx. 4 miles. We did that in 3 hours. Our only bummer was that we "did not make the summit". With better preparation, etc..., next time we will. However, I do hope others enjoy this beautiful little Talus Loop Trail. Should not be overlooked.

If you don't want to do Mt. Si try this. I think the listed elevation is over doing it, I think it's closer to 1350. Start up the Mount Si trail and go to the second trail maker for Talus loop. The loop trail makes you feel like your in a whole different eco-system compared to the main Mt. Si trail. It was a beautiful day with a view of just the top of Mount Rainier in the distance. Go early and beat the rush.