Talapus Lake Trail to Mason Lake

Talapus Lake Trail to Mason Lake is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, WA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing. Once you pass the two more popular lakes you will pretty much have the area to yourself.

Great beginner backpacking location. The layout of the lakes makes it easy to push yourself while having the comfort of knowing that there will be a place to stop nearby. I took my 12 year old. We each carried 27 lbs, and were able to make our 1.5 mile trek easily in 1 hour. We only made it to the first campsite on Talapus Lake, so I can't speak to the rest of the hike. We stopped because we got a super late start, and ran out of daylight.
You can self-register at the trailhead for overnight passes. They are free. The trail is very well maintained and quite wide. It is a gradual incline all the way. Very manageable.
There is a lot of day hiking on the trail. We awoke to the sound of incessant barking followed by about 10 minutes of someone calling loudly for her dog across the lake from us.
It only took us 45 minutes to return to the trailhead and parking lot. On the way down we observed a lot of children of all ages beginning the trek with their parents. This is an easy hike, but the lady making the 2-yr old girl walk it with no other means to carry her was probably expecting too much from her child.
Go early. We got back to our car around 11am, and the parking lot was already over full.

Hiked up and spent a night at Island Lake. Trail is clear, no fall down or snow. The first part of the trail, headed up to Talapus Lake, is very heavily used. This seems to be a short hike that people use who know nothing about leave no trace principles. On the way down, Sunday, we must have seen 300 people on this part of the trail. The rest of the trail, past Talapus lake, was much less traveled.

On the way up, we took a break at the south end of Talapus. Nice lake. Then we worked our way up to Olallie. Leaving the north side of Olallie, we took the mostly nonexistent Boot trail up to Pratt Lake Trail. The next couple of miles were some of the most beautiful miles I have hiked. Amazing views. Along the way, take a few minutes to stop and enjoy.

Camped at Island Lake. Fishing was fine, one fish caught without to much effort. headed back down the next morning.

Overall, a good hike with great views. Get past Talapus, and all is well.

6/27/2016 (Monday) - All these alpine lakes and the mountains as their backdrops provide fascinating views on a sunny day. We moved up from Ira Spring trail. From trailhead to Island Lake via Mason and Rainbow is about 5.5 miles long one way with an elevation gain of about 3,100 feet, but the trail between Mason and Island Lake is mostly muddy, and the trail has become deep ditch.

At this point… Once you get a bout a mile past the pratt lake turn off, you better be prepared… You will lose sight of all the trails, and will be navigating on your own… I made it to rainbow Lake. Beautiful... But you're on your own from here on.... Snow is still in issue as of today(5/23) ... Good luck

Good hike but still a lot of slushy snow at Island Lake. Had to turn around as the trail was unreadable and no tracks to follow. 10.71 miles in 4 hrs. Think my wife was trying to kill me. :) Another month and it should be all clear.

Nice way to celebrate the 4th. This hike was very deverse with surprises and beautiful scenery along the entire trail. Waterfalls, streams, multiple lakes, spectacular views of mountain ranges and lakes sparkling from far below. The weather was perfect for climbing switchbacks and when high enough, a cool breeze was a welcomed relief. Good day good hike.

This lake can be approached from either the Ira Spring or Talapus/Ollalie trailhead. If you can stage cars, hike from one to the other. I had the entire lake to myself on a cloudy July day. Very peaceful.

This was my 1st. hike of the year and I loved every minute of it...my body on the other hand had other things to say...but It was the first trail in many more trail I wish to accomplish...this was a moderate hike with a nice little lake to sit by and have our lunch. Even a tolit at the top....This is a nice hike.