Surprise Creek Trail to Surprise and Glacier Lakes

Surprise Creek Trail to Surprise and Glacier Lakes is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Skykomish, WA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

From Everett, E on US 2 to mile marker 58. Right on FSR 840, bear left on FSR 840, cross Tye River, cross railroad tracks, bear Right to stay on FSR 840. Trailhead is in 0.4 miles

Great short out-and-back. Went on Labor Day weekend. It was a bit cold around the lake, but otherwise a steady climb from bottom to top. Found a good campsite, although we didn't have a view of the lake (those were already taken). Lots of bees humming around the ground at the lake, so not recommended if you have a serious allergy! They didn't really bother us but we could hear the constant hum. Worth a return visit for swimming!

Great trail...so much to see on the way up. We did this trail in the middle of the day during 80• weather...id recommend a cooler day or starting off early. Surprise lake was clear and beautiful and just what I needed. We took a dip to cool down as soon as we got there. Plenty of hiking around both lakes and plenty of camping spots. Loved it and will go back soon.

Great trail...

Great Hike, Beautiful Forest and rushing waters. Surprise Lake is serene, then short hike to Glacier Lake where we did an overnighter. Amazing scenery. Across the lake is Spark plug Mountain with lots of talus fields down to the water's edge. Around 3:00am awoke to massive boulder slide down the talus field across the lake, couldn't see it because of night and fog, but the sound was...Awesome. Drizzled the whole time and lots of fog at the lakes, but still enjoyed this hike, very rewarding!

Lovely. This was a day hike I the fall of 2010 and I still want to backpack it to Glacier Lakes. There's lots to feast your eyes on.

Hiked to Surprise Lake yesterday. What a beautiful hike. Good elevation gain, kicked my butt, but it was worth it when we got there. Lots of butterflies on the trail.

Great one night backpack trip. No bugs at the lake. perfect weather.

We got a late start to the trail on Friday and ended up starting at 4 at the trailhead. We planned on staying the night so it seemed to be ok. Beautiful walk through the meadow however by the time we got the switchbacks we had to hurry so we didn't end up setting up in the dark. Felt a little rushed and was difficult to finish with a 30 pound pack - equipment divided between 8 people. I'm not yet what I would call an avid hiker so keep that in mind if you read this review. I was very happy to finally see the lake... Seemed like way more than 7 switchbacks. The trail was combined with meadows, forest, steams/creeks to cross, waterfall and awesome views and well worth the energy. We didn't do the loop but next time I really want to take the time. It sure seemed it was further than the 5 miles in and out. I highly recommend the over night trip and get early start so you can thoroughly enjoy and soak in. With the pack this is moderate to "difficult" at the switchback. We had great company and this inexperienced group, some of which had never camped or put up a tent so I enjoyed being part of their experience too!

This trail offfers beautiful views and a variety of scenery to hike through. The lake at the top is lovely and there was almost no one there. When we were there, there was a restoration project going on and there was a lot of tape designating where people could go. It detracted from the view somewhat (though no doubt it will improve it over time) but it was still absolutely stunning. We took our dogs, and they had a great time too.