Snoqualmie Mountain

Snoqualmie Mountain is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, WA that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

This is a serious mountain ascent. I'm an intermediate mountain enthusiast and ex-bike racer and this climb pushed me way past my physical limits. To find the trailhead don't go towards the Snow Lake trailhead. The entrance to this trail is a little foot path right off the main road. You'll get a nice meadow view as you climb for the first few minutes. The trail then rears it's ugly head with a straight-up approach over knee-high boulders. Honestly I've never seen a mountain approach this aggressive. It might meander around a tree or two and levels off twice for about 10 feet but the majority of this climb is at least a staircase grade or steeper. I committed to using hiking poles but the whole time I considered ditching the poles for my scrambling gloves. The trail for the most part is easy to follow if you keep your head up and know how to recognize an established path. Having said that I started loosing my way up towards the summit. It gets really loose and rocky towards the top once you get to the boulder field and it's easy to loose the track. There are quite a few cairns showing the way if you look for them. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the summit on this trip. The approach to the summit is on the West side of a ridge and on the day I climbed there was rain & wind blowing sideways on that side of the ridge. With a few hundred feet left to go my legs were really starting to shake, the weather was getting worse and the ridge looked like it would require some pretty technical bouldering so I made the decision to turn around. The hike down was treacherous. My legs were cold and exhausted, my clothes were drenched and the rocks were wet and slippery. Quite an ordeal!

Climbed Snoqualmie mountain on 28JUNE13. The temperature was 75 degrees and it was partly cloudy. The trail is not officially established and lightly used. I ran into 2 other hikers during the trip. The trail is muddy, overgrown, and has plenty of rocks to scramble over. This trail is a definite leg burner and will smoke your calf muscles. By the 1.5 mile mark you cross a creek and get a good view of a 40 feet waterfall. The water is nice and cold so it was a good place to cool off. As you reach the spur that takes you to the summit that is about the time you reach the tree line. There is still snow on the spur so traction devices wouldn't hurt. as you reach 5000 feet you will pass by an old fire lookout with its foundation and a couple of support beams remaining. The summit at apx 6250 feet was amazing. I was able to see part of Rainer or Glacier Peak but the views of the surrounding mountains and the valley to the north was amazing. Make sure to bring extra sun screen as two applications of SPF 30 wasn't enough. Hiking poles were also very useful and be sure to bring at least 2 liters of water for the hike up and additional two liters of water or electrolyte replenishment for the way down.