Snoqualmie Lake Trail

Snoqualmie Lake Trail is a 11 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Skykomish, WA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Seattle, east on I-90 to exit 34. Turn left onto 468th Ave SE and go 0.4 miles. Turn right on SE Middle Fork Rd and go 1 mile. Bear Right at fork and go 11.5 miles on the gravel road. Bear left at fork and gate and go 0.5 miles to the trailhead.

Part of a through hike that a buddy and I've done starting at Dorothy Lake TH and exiting Snoqualmie Lake TH. Snoqualmie lake itself has little shore access and very few campsites. The fishing was very poor compared to Dorothy. Snoqualmie lake trail is longer, but very easy, as many miles are on old logging/mining roads.

Great Hike!

06/01/2014 - We took this trail on our way to see Otter Falls, so we never made it to the lake. Half of the journey is getting to the trailhead, and the directions given are not quite accurate. First of all, the first fork onto SE Middle Fork Rd is closed for construction, but you can take the left fork which meets up again at the end of the construction zone and continue on. I posted a map to make that more clear. Ignore the directions where it says, "Bear right at fork" because that no longer applies. The dirt road is decent in spots and horrible in others. There are portions where it is one-lane and the two lane portions are narrow. There are several sections where cars are parked along the river for fishing, camping, kayaking, etc. Although I saw a lot of cars (even a new Porsche 911 covered in dust), I was in a 4x4 truck and wouldn't take any other car. Some of the pot holes are more like ditches and a car could bottom out.

Anyway, we reached the trailhead around 3:30pm on a stunning Sunday afternoon and only saw a few other hikers along the route. It's an easy hike with a gradual incline and no switchbacks. We ate along the river by the wood bridge and enjoyed the nice walk. There are a couple of tricky stream crossings along the route where you have to boulder hop your way across. I had to coax, bribe, intimidate and ultimately carry my dog across most of it, and she's a good sized Weimaraner. Other than that, the trail is well maintained with only a couple of trees fallen across it.

More on my hiking blog at

A good long day-hike or a good trail for backpacking with camping at Snoqualmie Lake. The first 5 miles is pretty flat and you can take a short side-trail to see Otter Falls (if you can find the turn-off). The last 2-3 miles is uphill but with some beautiful falls in the Taylor river coming down from Snoqualmie Lake. Trail was great. Almost no mud and creeks easy to cross.