Skyline Divide Trail

Skyline Divide Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glacier, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Glacier: Drive east on State Highway 542 for approximately 1 mile, turn right on Forest Service Road #39, Glacier Creek Road. Then turn immediately left onto Forest Service Road #37, Deadhorse Road. Drive approximately 13 miles to the trailhead parking lot.

Rad place to hike up and stay the night to make the miserable drive up worth while.

It was a nice hike but very foggy at the top. The road into the trailhead was rocky but we got in no problem with our minivan. I would do it again on a less muggy day. Not a hard elevation at all.

Definitely a beautiful hike, but get ready for a 12 mile drive up a pothole covered road that'll take you anywhere between 1 hour or longer. If you have a sturdy 4×4 vehicle you should do just fine. It was a very gorgeous day when we went so the views were stunning. I was a bit upset I didn't see many wild flowers since a lot appeared to be dried out, but the view of Baker is absolutely amazing. Took us about 7.5 miles roundtrip to do this hike according to my fitbit. I saw reviews that said the trail was very buggy, but it's just flies. I was lucky enough to not experience mosquitos on the trip.

beautiful views of baker and Shuksan. it was a longer drive than it was a hike. great camping spots at first overlook

Starts with a 12 mile drive up a road that is truly pot hole covered. If you are not in an ATV, then count on 45-55 min to go that 12 miles. Started up the trail and so glad to have bug spray. There are a ton of bugs on this hike. Having the bug spray made all the difference. Don't do this hike without it.
It's a small challenge first couple miles that are mostly up. Once you get done that, you hike the ridge line with stunning views!! Truly worth the climb and the bugs. Mt Baker looked amazing on the bright blue sky. This is a must do hike if you like incredible views.

Four stars only because it's pretty steep at the beginning and can be buggy. But SO worth it. Once you get above the trees the views are magnificent. The trail continues over a saddle once you've reached the "Wish You Were Here" point, and I didn't think it was worth the extra. There are toilets at the trail head but NO WATER on the trail. Get there early as parking is limited.

Awesome Hike and fairly hilly but to totally worth your time! Lots of flies around so be prepared.

Aug 6-7, 2016 once you turn right onto Glacier Creek road and then take an immediate left, it's s bumpy potholed road, but totally doable for a car. I was pretty cautious with mine so it took about an hour I think to drive the 12 miles. About 15 minutes short of the trailhead a bear cub ran in front of our car… Keep that in mind when you're camping overnight and thinking that you might leave your food in your tent. ;) The trail has a good incline that an overnight pack added had me sweating pretty good. However, 50 minutes later we were already at the first camping option and since it was 9:30pm we set up our tent with the intention to go further the next day. Hiking up we got a glimpse of the sunset and a couple glimpses of the mountains and then everything went behind the clouds. The sky above cleared to show some wonderful starry displays but there was still cloud all around. We woke up at 5:30 am, clouds everywhere. Back to bed, in the morning we were still covered in clouds, our tent and the ground were drenched from the moisture. We regretfully packed up and headed down in about 25 minutes. I will definitely be back for those spectacular views, sunset, sunrise and further hiking when the forecast looks better. Reminder, there is no water source at the first camping area. I heard from others there is a lake a couple hours further. Perk, there was no bugs due to the crummy weather. My 3 stars rating is not really fair considering the weather prevented the 5 star views...

Gorgeous trail, the entire way. Lots of potholes on the drive up. We were lucky enough to not have swarms of bugs attacking us.

Elevation gain moderate for the first mile or so not too bad, my 11 yr old had no problem. Opens up to amazing views at the top. Only a little snow it's almost gone.
More Wild flowers should be open in a week. Adding this hike to my list of favorites.

Nice, misty, little bit of snow.

First two miles are rough. It's cold and breezy at the top, so plan to bring an extra jacket... Gorgeous, challenging hike.

My friends and I started it around 10:45 and got down at 3:30 we went up to the sixth knoll I believe. The trail got lost under the snow at a certain point after the fourth knoll so we free hiked up a hill instead of trying to cross over the snow and we then found the trail which had split in two. Other than areas of the trail being covered in easily passable snow the trail was damp but wonderful and great! I do recommend you bring and wear sunscreen! Reapply it often! One of the dorks with me didn't wear any and got absolutely toasted! The first two miles are the hardest but just push through and it's all worth it. The wild flowers hadn't quite bloomed yet but we will definitely be back in the next month. Also the road up to the trailhead is a lot of blind turns and big potholes so drive safely and at the speed limit! Also it fails to mention that if you continue onto the knolls it gains a good 4200 feet elevation.

Slightly intense hike but well worth the beautiful a views of the mountains! We hiked this in the evening, watched the sunset, and did the hike down in the dark with headlamps. Loved every minute.