Sky Country (Cougar Mountain) Trail

Sky Country (Cougar Mountain) Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Renton, WA that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 13. Right (south) on Lakemont Boulevard S.E for 2.5 miles. Left on SE Cougar Mountain Way, Right on 166th Way S.E. to trailhead at end of gravel road

Easy hike to help train for more difficult hikes. This is a good place to train a dog as well.

Confusing, so many trail markers. Really need to follow the gps at the forks. Loop was steep going down and coming up. Good hike. About six miles. No views just lush forest. Old man trail, Whittaker, shy bear, and gombu then back.

4/23/2016 (Saturday) - Group 1:40 to 4:10, 1.5 hour up, 1 hour down, 5 miles, 60F, partly sunny. A cool and dry afternoon. Trails are in good condition, gentle grade. We first go down to Coal Creek Falls, where very little water, then move up to the Wilderness Peak with an elevation gain of 750 ft.

Uphill, that loose gravel almost killed me 4 times, but I blame that on my balance.

Pretty mild terrain. Went in February, very wet. Sunny the day I went. You actually end up on several different short trails. Marked pretty well. I could see houses and main roads though. Did not see anyone else on a weekday morning. Beautiful area.

Although shortened by our propensity to stop and take pictures, we found the trails off the Sky Country Trailhead to be as well-maintained and lovely as the others we've experienced in the wildland park. The runners and hikers were friendly, and for the most part, observant of trail and leash etiquette and rules, and this brief outing's loop - Coyote Creek, Klondike Swamp, By Pass - was very enjoyable, and strengthened our sentiment that this will be a favorite and frequent venue for us.