Silver Lake Way Trail

Silver Lake Way Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Brinnon, WA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible from June until November.

From Quilcene, 1 mile south on U.S. 101 to Penny Creek Road. Turn right and drive 1.5 miles to Big Quilcene Road. Keep left at the Y and travel 3 miles to FSR 27. Go 9 miles to FSR 2760 and then drive 1 mile to the trailhead at the end of the road.

We ended up on this trail when we couldn't find another one; the trailhead is marked 300. The first 2 miles or so are pretty steep, but it evens out as you top the ridge line. The lake is beautiful and worth the climb. There are some spots to camp by the lake, and I think the trail continues past the lake, but we turned around there. Round trip was approx 11 miles. We went in mid August, and most of the trail is well shaded.

Beautiful views of the ridgelines, once you're at a higher elevation. Lake is so clear, the water is nearly see through. Took my (then 7 year old) daughter on this hike and she conquered it!

My brother and I just completed the hike to Silverlakes. The trail was steep and clearly marked well worn and well-traveled. It took us about 3 1/2 hours to get to Silverlakes from the parking lot. This is a good hike for someone who is looking for a single night of camping in the Olympics. The views are absolutely breathtaking

Hiked this trail on 3/5/2015. It was a beautiful hike with amazing views of the peninsula. We started from the Mt. Townsend trail head just before 0900 and hit the junction to Silver Lake at 1100. Parts of the trail had traces of snow and some ice. We headed to Silver Lake about 1115, trekking through a couple inches of snow up to the peak. Once we started down the trail over the peak to reach Silver Lakes, there was ~6" of snow on trail, but not too difficult to follow. We reached the lake a little before 1300. We stopped often to take in the beautiful views. The lake was frozen over with a few inches of snow on it. We headed back around 1345 and returned to the trail head just before 1600. I highly recommend this hike. Take the time to stop along the trail and take lots of pictures.

Did this hike 7/15/14 very hot and thoroughly enjoyed the lake. We saw fish jumping and hundreds of butterflies

This trail completes a couple loop hikes. Parking at Tubal Cain Trail you can hike to Tull Canyon, cross the ridgeline to Silver Lakes and then descend to the road that brings you back to Tubal Cain. The other loop is my favorite. It goes up Little Quilcene Trail to the summit of Mt. Townsend. Then connect to Silver Lake Trail.

It does get used but not enough to keep it from becoming overgrown in places. There are quite a few steep sections where the trail gets tough.

I prefer the view of the Olympics and surrounding area from the Silver Lakes Trail over the Mt. Townsend view. It does add about 2 miles to the hike but it is well worth it.