Schmitz Park Preserve: Seattle's Forest Past

Schmitz Park Preserve: Seattle's Forest Past is a 0.6 mile loop trail located near Seattle, WA that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Schmitz park preserve

I love this park so much, I take my dog here multiple times a week as we live right by it. I haven't explored off the beaten path too much, but I could imagine kids would have an amazing time exploring. There are a lot of ups and downs and streams everywhere, beautiful old growth and very nicely maintained. It's a short walk, but perfect little escape from urban life:)

Surprised to see not many reviews here of one of my families' favorites parks in Seattle. It has a lot of great features for young kids: a stream running through it, small bridges, and easy, winding trails that loop back on themselves. Also easily connects down to Alki and Whale Tail Park, on the trail that goes under the overpass. We have spent many hours exploring here off-trail as well, though it's not encouraged now—there are many walled up areas to keep the fauna from being trampled. Gets pretty muddy on some of the back trails during the winter months.

Schmitz Park Preserve is in the middle of neighborhoods in West Seattle, a great place to escape for quicker walk through the forest. It was a sunny Saturday afternoon but it wasn't too busy, just a few families and other hikers.

In west seattle, you can enter the schmitdz park and forget you're in the city for awhile. It's a great way to walk down the hill to Alki area.