Paul Peak Trail

Paul Peak Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Orting, WA that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

2.9 miles 429 feet Point to Point

Awesome trail for the magnificence of the forest and the view . I continued the trail via the Paul Peak link which take you to the upper lake after a long climb out , but the reward of the falls and the lake is fantastic, especially when 3 Nice ladies serve you hot tea at the top !

We ended up hiking this trail because the road to Spray Falls was closed, so we went into this blind. The road getting here is ROUGH. I drive a 4 wheel drive Ford Escape and it was still not an easy trek. The trail itself is very beautiful and quiet. Quite a few downed trees that you have to climb over. The reason I will never do this trail again is that you start by going downhill, then you have to turn around and go back up too many switchbacks to count. We went all the way to the river to eat a lunch, stick our feet in the cold glacier water, and prepare for our hike back up. In total it was about 8 miles. There are a few times on the switchbacks that you can see the mountain, and it is breathtakingly beautiful.

the trail it's self was great started down and ended with the hike back up not bad we had a six yr old with us that did most of the climb with only minor complaints.
I did not SE more then 8 to 10 other hikers on the trail on an overcast rainy Saturday.
the views were amazing the piece and quiet was something I have not heard in a long time. we enjoyed this hike very much.
the road up to the trail head was filled with pot holes for the last 11 miles. that was the only thing that was not a favorite of mine for this hike.

The trail itself was nice, there were a few downed trees but nothing we couldn't climb over. But the drive. The ride coming up the dirt road was unbearable so many potholes from the atv s and jeeps! it was brutal! and we have an Suv

I absolutely loved this hike. The scenery the whole time is quite beautiful. I suppose the biggest challenge is that you begin going down hill and the return is going up. Overall, 6.2 miles if you stop at the signage where Wonderland begins. Breathtaking views of Ranier and hardly any people. Maybe saw a total of 8 for the entire journey... about 2.5 hours on a Saturday. Definitely recommend it to anyone who has the time to make the trip up.

Thanks to all the previous posts. I rode with some friends who invited me along. Orting must be the "largest" town closeto this trail head. You go through two more smaller towns (don't blink) before you get there. Road was paved except for last 10 or 11 miles. Very slow going trying to avoid potholes, this road not recommended for smaller/low to the ground vehicles.

The trail was great. Snow was all gone, trail was clear. The trail itself itself is nicely maintained. We crossed one little stream over a downed tree (had a hand rail). There were 3 or 4 good sized downed trees over the trail, but they were pretty easy to get around or over. A portion of the trail had quite a few switchbacks and the trail narrowed some. We got to the trail marker to go to the Wonderland Trail (3.1 mi more) or to S. Mowich River Camp (0.8 miles). We stayed to the right and went to the river. Signage at the trail head indicated bridge was washed out, so we made that our final destination/turn around point. It was a beautiful day for a hike. Would love to do this trail again.

Note that you start out hiking downward, finish coming up. I prefer to hike up first. Will need to research that starting point.

This was a great hike that has a round trip mileage of 6.2 miles. The first part and the last part are the most challenging coming back due to switch backs and ascending the 1000 ft you came down originally. Plenty of water features and views of Mt. Rainier along the way. Be sure to wear good shoes for the uphill challenge. Have fun!

3.1 out and 3.1 back. Somewhere in the woods we crossed Paul Peak. A brief spot about 3/4 of the way out for mountain photo op. Kind of anti climatic when reach the end, which is the intersection with the Wonderland Trail. Another mile or so and you hit the river.

Very good hike. My father and I went on this hike and thoroughly enjoyed it.