Niederprum Trail

Niederprum Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Arlington, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from June until November.

Directions from Darrington: Take Hwy. 530 west for 6 miles to the Whitehorse Store. Turn left on the Mine Road. Follow this road for 2.5 miles to the trailhead on the right.

My review is on the Mine Rd trail. I don't know why it doesn't come up on this site. As with Neiderprum this trail isn't heavily traveled, but the trail is nicely maintained, kid and dog friendly, there is a Mine at the end bring a flashlight, and a nice lunch spot at the creek. It is beautiful all the way with the vibrant mossy greens. My friend and I were out there yesterday, we were the only ones (6/5/16). There is a bear out there, it was quite evident going in, but even more evident going out, even though we didn't see it, just a huge pile of scat with salmonberry seeds in it on the trail that wasn't there earlier, I can only assume it was close by. I don't suggest going solo out here for that reason. Otherwise it makes an awesome solo hike, it surely doesn't lack in solitude if you like those sort of hikes. And its short at only 4 miles round trip. I was solo back in February, and ventured up Neiderprum only having to turn back about 3/4 of the way up due to snow, and not being able to see which way the trail continued on. At this the Mine rd trail is narrow in a few spots because of overgrown berry bushes, then it widens back out.

The map location of Niederprum Trail as shown by this Information Pin is incorrect. The directions given to locate Niederprum are correct, but the map is "pinning" a location several miles west of Old Mine Road (aka 387th Ave NE), which actually takes one to the Niederprum and Whitehorse Ridge trails.