Nathan Chapman Memorial Trail

Nathan Chapman Memorial Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Puyallup, WA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great walk cool and wet. Very minor sprinkles toward the end. The last third or quarter of a hike, walk, run is when the real workout begins. That's when you're tired and sweaty. That's when you have to keep pushing to maintain speed or if you can go just a little bit faster. When you're tired and sweaty and want to slow down that's when you build perseverance or mental toughness to not slow down and if possible go just a little faster.

I used to be more interested in hiking than walking because hiking is usually more of a challenge with hills and other obstacles. But walking on mostly flat trails is a great way to build speed and endurance especially when you're tired. Before walking this trail regularly my average speed was about 2.5mph and a max of 3.5mph. But now that I have been walking this trail consistantly my average speed is usually 3mph and max of 5 to 5.5mph.

Even if your average speed is only 1mph try to maintain that toward the end when you're tired instead of slowing down. If you can go just one or two steps faster toward the end that is what builds stamina and endurance. When I push up the intensity and go a little faster, even if only for say 10 or 15 minutes, it may only be one or two tenths of a mile quicker but it sure increases the workout.

Regular walking, running, or hiking keeps many parts of the body strong like the neck, shoulders, back and hips. I occasionally have lower back pain esp if I find myself sleeping in a bad postition. But since I have been hiking and walking regularly my lower back pain has become very infrequent and when it happens it's not as bad. Regular walking, running and hiking is good general body conditioning for being able to do everyday stuff like yard work, house cleaning, even being able to walk through large stores without having to stop and rest. It's also good for the heart rate and strengthening the heart and lung muscles, also good if you have trouble with constipation to help keep things moving.

Increasing my endurance and speed walking mostly flat trails has made a significant improvement in endurance and strength while hiking more difficult places like Clarks Creek. Maintaining a brisk pace while hiking more difficult trails is an even more intense workout for strength training. The best part about exercising outside is it's free! No gym membership, can get your workout in anytime day or night.

Always forward! Never backward!

Great walk. A little warm should've wore shorts instead of pants.

Rainy, but a great walk. Started out wearing a hoody and pants cause I didn't plan on going for a fast walk. Wasn't sure if I should wear the rain poncho or use the umbrella. Decided to use the umbrella cause it's not as much material and doesn't need to be hung up to dry.

10 minutes in I'm walking kinda fast and starting to get too warm. Hoody came off and didn't need the umbrella for quite awhile because the rain stopped. 20 or so minutes later tshirt came off cause I'm walking fast and getting sweaty. I usually prefer to not wear a shirt when hiking or walking cause it gets quite sweaty and sticks to me afterward and takes awhile to dry.

While not wearing the shirt I use it to wipe my brow and face occasionally and it's still doesn't get as sweaty as when I wear it. Half way through I was wishing I had wore shorts instead of pants cause my legs are getting quite sweaty and making me hot. I wanted to slow down a bit but I kept a fast brisk pace to keep building that mental toughness and perseverence to keep pushing which also builds physical endurance.

Wow I'm really exhausted. My fastest time so far at 49:22. Walking around the full circle of the ball fields makes the whole trail somewhere between 2.5 to 2.85 miles depending on the accuracy of the tracking device.

Haven't walked or hiked in awhile but still made excellent time at 50:46. Not sure why but All Trails and S Health were wildly inaccurate with tracking today. Both didn't track straight lines in many places, very zig-zaggy. Going all the way around the fields the trail is about 2.5 miles. All Trails recorded 5.7x and S Health was 2.8x.

A tad warm but still a great walk. When walking through the parking lot watch for cars backing out. As I'm approaching cars I look at the driver seats to see if there is anyone sitting there, listen for if the vehicle is running and especially look for back up lights. If the windows are really dark or it's a taller vehicle like a van, truck or SUV you might not be able to see if someone is in the drivers seat.

Also if you're about to back out DO NOT start backing up until you have made sure no one is walking past. From a distance I a suburban SUV that was sitting there with the vehicle in reverse and they didn't actually backout until I was quite a ways past. Either they saw me coming from 50+ feet away or they were idling in reverse which is a HUGE mistake. If you forget the vehicle is in reverse and take your foot off the break or your foot accidently comes off the brake you could run someone over or hit another vehicle. If I pull over in a parking lot or even the side of the road to text for awhile I always put it in Park. For one than my leg doesn't get tired holding the brake. And more importantly if a cop stops they can't say you were driving and texting because the vehicle is in Park. It happened one time to me when a sheriff happened to drive by and stopped to see if everything was ok.

So anyway, after walking past the suburban I was about to walk past a fullsize truck that was running. Driver put it in reverse and barely moved and started to turn the tires to back out than saw me and stopped. This truck was also parked amongst other vehicles so that makes it hard to see if it's clear. Drivers ed 101 DO NOT start backing up until you know it's clear. Walking down the middle of the lot would be safer than walking close to cars but on the other hand I don't want to be in the way while walking past the long stretches of empty parking spots.

When I started driving I found it easier to park and leave our split level driveway by backing in. Drive in forward than backdown to the lower level to park. Through the years backing in has become the way I naturally park. With a couple different jobs I have worked backing in was better because than when it was time to leave it made it easier to follow the construction crew I was with that day.

More importantly backing in makes it safer to pull out of a spot. Unfortunately there's a large gray SUV with very dark windows parked on my left. So even coming out forward there's still a blindspot but all you can do is creep forward slowly so other vehicles or people approaching know you're coming out. To make backing in easy I put a blindspot mirror on the bottom outside corners of the outside mirrors. They are 1 inch adjustable mirrors so I tilt them down a little toward the back tires so I can see the front edge of the back tire on the ground at the bottom right of the driver blindspot mirror. Than I can see where the tire and parking stall line is and also still be able to use the blindspot mirror for lane changes. It takes practice but after awhile it becomes natural, in fact for me it feels weird to drive in forward and back out. Sometimes it can be hard to know how far to back in if there's another car behind or a parking post for something. If I'm not sure how far I can go back I back in until the nose of my vehicle is about even with the end of the lines than stop. Occasionally I'll have to open the driver window to look out and see the front tip of the line so I can estimate how far back to go. If there is nothing behind the parking stall I back up gently until the tires touch the curb, so the tires aren't squished I may pull forward slightly.

Also if you're about to back out DO NOT start backing up until you have made sure no one is walking past. From a distance I saw a suburban SUV that was sitting there with the vehicle in reverse and they didn't actually backout until I was quite a ways past. Either they saw me coming from 50+ feet away or they were idling in reverse which is a HUGE mistake. If you forget the vehicle is in reverse and take your foot off the break or your foot accidently comes off the brake you could run someone over or hit another vehicle. If I pull over in a parking lot or even the side of the road to text for awhile I always put it in Park. For one than my leg doesn't get tired holding the brake. And more importantly if a cop stops they can't say you were driving and texting because the vehicle is in Park. It happened one time to me when a sheriff happened to drive by and stopped to see if everything was ok.

Nice cool day for a walk

Wow what a workout. I walked the full circle around the ball fields at the school instead of just half like usual. I thought maybe it was an extra half mile but after looking at the map It's probably only a few tenths longer. Still a great way to make a slightly longer workout. Great day for outdoor exercise with the cool air and the breeze.

What a great walk with it being cool and the wind blowing

Warm but still a great walk. Wish I could have made it here when it was cooler this morning. But I did it anyway with my 20lb hiking pack and made great time too!

Great walk and workout with my hiking pack. Really nice that the temp is cool and occasional wind.

So beautiful. Great for a quick run.

Little warm but always a great walk. Others have commented about not sure which way to go on the trail. First of all it depends on how much you want to walk. Some people just do the loop/circle part and skip the straight part going to the schools. Here's what to do if you want to do the trail as shown on the app. If you start from the north trailhead with the big plaque stay straight all the way to the school and make no right turn. On the way back make the first left turn, than another left farther down the trail. This will bring you past the playground and to the parking lot.

If you want to start at the playground stay right on the trail at the two junctions and continue to the schools. On the way back stay straight on the trail and make no turns. Whether you start at the trailhead or park walking across the long parking lot is part of the "trail" as pictured on the app. There are some faded spray paint arrows that someone painted at the junctions long ago, but they're kinda hard to see.

After you walk the trail a few times it's easy to remember the route if thats how you want to do it. I start from either end. Also the distance shown on the app is wrong. When you move your finger over the graph at the bottom you'll see that whoever recorded the route doubles back 2 or 3 times. I'm not sure why they recorded the trail longer than what it really is. The trail as shown on the app is actually 2.5 miles, give or take about a tenth of a mile.

Some rain but cool temp made for a good walk

Warm but a great walk

Awesome walk. Started out kinda cool but than warmed up a bit. Occasional breeze felt great!

Great walk and a bit warm but not too bad with the shade along the trail.