Mt. Rose Trail

Lilliwaup, WA
Mt. Rose Trail is a 6.4 mile trail located near Lilliwaup, WA and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

6.4 miles 800 feet

Directions from Hoodsport: Turn onto State Route 119 and travel 9 miles to the junction with Forest Service Rd 24. Turn left and drive approximately 3 miles to the trailhead.

Great my wife and I climbed Mt. Rose a few years ago. There is a fork in the trail where you can go to the summit or s loop back down we chose right! We found ourselves scaling a mountain. At some point we ran out of water, we found a spring and filled up. We felt the burn in our legs about half way up we pressed on! Once we reached the summit the views were breath taking! A #mostxlant challenge!

please check the 'Mount Rose Trail' if you want to hike here, this trail report has bad GPS navigation info. if you follow it, you wont end up at the trail. just search for Mount Rose Trail and not mt rose trail. It is a great hike though!!

So if you follow this to the trailhead, it will lead you too some person's gated off house. But if you keep traveling on NFD 24, eventually after many potholes you'll get to where that road intersects with Cushman Lake road, keep going straight, don't turn left onto Cushman. About a mile or so up that road (you'll know because the lake will be off to your left) is where the real trailhead is. Also if you are using this database for directions just use the other Mt Rose trail map to get to the mountain. Needless to say, we spent the day climbing around the mountain blazing our own trail because we couldn't find the trailhead. It was tons of fun. I'm sure the mountain trail is amazing once you find it haha

This trail is extremely HARD! It is a straight up trail, straight down also. Make sure you go on a really clear day so the hike will be worth it. I wasn't able to see anything as the top was in the clouds :( it does have some pretty views of the lake half way up. The miles however are not right! It's was 8.92 miles from bottom to top and back. I didn't do the loop around rim.

Definitely a demanding grade... the worst being the way down on the knees... bring hiking sticks if you have them. Agree completely with other reviews-not for a leisurely stroll. first couple miles are steep switchbacks with a view of Lake Cushman. Once you reach the summit loop, I recommend going left to see the spectacular views soonest. I saw no goats, but a ton of flowers (last week of May) and hawks at the top.

This is a very demanding hike. You gain 3500 ft. in 3 miles so this hike is not for those hoping for a leisurely stroll through the woods. Most of the views are obscured till you get to the top of Mt. Rose. Once there, if its a clear day, you will be met with beautiful views of the Olympic Mountains to the West and North as well as Mt Rainier, Mt. Adams, and Mt. St Helens to the east. This hike is about as difficult as Mail Box Peak so if you have done that one this one is on par as far as elevation gain per mile.

Great hike... View from top would be spectacular I'm sure if the top wasn't surrounded by clouds

This is a good smooth steep climb for cardio activity. This hike definitely burned the muscle in my legs. The forest burned in 2006, so there is lots of new growth. I was unable to get a view of Lake Cushman due to heavy fog surrounding the top of the peak. Mountain goats are wandering around this trail. Forest Ranger and hikers have reported a few aggressive mountain goats.