Mount Pugh Trail

Mount Pugh Trail is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, WA that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Darrington: Drive the Mt. Loop Hwy. for 14 miles to Road #2095 on the left. Proceed for 1 mile. A marked trailhead lies ahead.

Mt Pugh late October was great. But so slushy deep snow eventually turned me and all I saw, included dung a group that app armed prepared for snow. Made it to work pass. Still a beautiful hike to that point. I expect others will want to summit despite the snow.

The switchbacks to Stujack pass were steep and almost the trail was exposed after that. The ridge cross was fine,nothing scaring. But the scramble to the peak was quite long and you need to look for cains for the boot path, otherwise, the climb could be quite hard.

Epic! The 360 view at the top is worth the work. There are a handful of exposed areas just passed stujack, but nothing too serious.

I am certainly a beginner hiker. I have only hiked about ten trails in my life and that has been over the course of a month. Of these trails the largest amount of elevation gain was only about 3000feet over 11 miles. I am definitely not a fit guy but I was able to summit Pugh on my first try.( with no experience at all) It was very hard though. On the last bit of scramble to the top make sure to pay attention to the trail markers. I found myself straying on what appeared to be the path and found myself in quite a pickle. To all beginners out there thinking of attempting this hike remember that you can always turn around and don't attempt any thing that makes u feel uncomfortable! This hike offers wonderful views almost the entire time so u can feel accomplished no matter how far you get! Stories all over the web describe this as a scary hike and for experts! I did not find this true at all. Hard. Yes! But not impossible. Enjoy!

Correction on my review: It was based on summiting Mt Pugh. To the pass, not bad at all, though it's still quite steep and exposed from the break of the forest to the pass. (The pic of me sitting solo is at the pass whereas the others are from Pugh's summit.

First time, I had to turn around a 1000 vertical feet from the summit because the sole of my shoe detached. It was a thorn in my side for three years until the summer of 2013 when my friends and I conquered the mountain on likely the best of days. Views were extraordinary and we hung out on the summit for at least an hour before begrudgingly heading back down.

Great hike. Go to the top, for some reason the climb seems scarier than the descent. Tough hike. Not for beginners.

This was a short but intense hike, but the feeling of success when you get to the top was a reward. Trail only had mud in 3 or 4 places and one of the easiest trail on feet and knees in a while. We intended to do Goat Lake but i forgot my hiking boots and place was packed by the time we returned. We decided to continue past Barlow Pass and see where we ended up. Mt Pugh was apparently the place we were going. I and my hiking partner only went to lake as I admit the 3100 ft elevation gain in 1.8 miles kicked my butt but was a great conditioning hike. Might save this one for when I want a quick hike with a great workout.

(This review is for Mt. Pugh)

It's a stretch to say that the 3,760' hike to Stujack Pass (5,700') is by itself worth the pain. The restricted views at the Pass, while nice, simply don't compare with those that can be gained with similar effort at nearby Mt. Dickerman and Forgotten Meadows.

But it's no exaggeration to say that climbing the remaining 1,500' to the broad, dynamite-flattened summit will reward you with some of the best views of any day hike anywhere (the summit panorama, below, speaks for itself).

Before you go, though, be sure you're ready. First, car to summit is a gain of 5,260', which can't be approached casually. Second, though there's a boot path most of the way to the summit, the route is elusive at times and features significant, prolonged exposure -- not for the faint of heart. Third, there are some scramble sections reminiscent of the trickier parts of Mt. Si's haystack, only more exposed. Don't go without first doing your homework on sites like summitpost.org and wta.org.

My only regret about this hike is that we didn't bring our sleeping bags (the weather was perfect; no tents required!) and turn an epic day hike into an unforgettable trip.